Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Challenge

Quick update while dinner is in the oven.

Went to parent's place and brought back some vintage sewing fabric, supplies, and patterns. Everything else at their place will be donated.

Put away the heavy winter stuff since we're now past the frost warnings, even if it's 20 degrees below average right now. Keeping out some long sleeves fall type stuff. Duvet will be put away next weekend or when I finish the commission whichever comes first. Putting it away is a two person operation.

Everything else is on hold until I finish the commission. Adding evaluate how much extra turnaround time to commissions to the list.

Yppej
    Got the herbs and aim to plant them later this week.

We've been making incremental progress on garden clean-up, but I don't have much else to report. It looks like the weather gets a bit warmer next weekend, so that will be the right time to start some of the seasonal changeover tasks.

Yppej
    Went to my fourth Library Trustees meeting and hopefully my last. The covidian director is retiring and I am so happy. Still working on issues involving the Health Department. Spoke to the Mayor who was evasive and noncommittal but now I can say he is open to consideration of an idea I am pursuing because he did not reject it outright.

Yppej
    Planted the herbs.

No progress on the weight loss even though I stopped eating the processed snacks at work and have been walking every day.

I see the dirt on the windows most clearly in the early morning when it is still chilly and I don't want to open them and have the heat kick on so that's still on my to do list.

Commission is done and I will deliver it tomorrow morning and receive the last payment. Done with 2 days to spare. Thought I added enough time to factor in for supply and shipping delays, turns out I barely squeaked by. Think I might need to add more time or put in the contract that the delivery date may be delayed due to supply chain issues and other things beyond my control. Going to celebrate by not touching the sewing machine today.

Tonight is an early bedtime

Now that I had some much needed sleep and a breather, I decided for future commissions I will not have a hard deadline in the contract due to uncertainty. I'll state I will try my best to deliver in a certain time range on the condition that I can procure materials and the shipping company is running on in a timely manner.

Commission delivered and I received the final payment. Client was happy and will recommend me to others. So yay.

Rest of the updates

Pick up anything I want to keep from my parent's house done
    Sort through sewing patterns and inventory them started, it's slow because data entry is boring
    Clear bed in guest bedroom ongoing
    Work on more quilt blocks ongoing
    Finish sewing commission done
    Put away duvet for the winter done
    Put away winter stuff 90% done
    Learn how to darn in progress
    3 boxes out of the storage unit 2 of 3
    Continue the book cull ongoing

Winter blankets are put away and had the ceremonial turning on of the air conditioning due to high humidity and hot flashes. Since I took the blankets down to the storage unit, I grabbed a box and sorted. Full of paperwork that has been shredded and waiting at the door since the dumpsters are full and pick up is tomorrow. Really enjoying darning, looked at the wool socks and put aside the ones where there was a hole or worn part. Been darning one sock per evening as I"m watching the evening news. Makes me realize where we wear out socks first and how to add additional reinforcement to those parts. Once the socks are done, I'll put away the last of the winter clothing.

This week I'll work on the quilt blocks and try to remember to take photos and resume spending ten minutes a day clearing the guest room bed. Made progress even though it looks like there's even more stuff on it.

Hana, you're doing great! What types of clothing do you make, if you don't mind my asking? DD would like to try sewing for cos-play but there's not a lot of that going on here in no-where land, lol.
    My spring list update:
    *wash kitchen windows w/concurrent cleaning of areas that are not accessible when I don't have to get to the windows. (My old farmhouse is full of windows and doors. I have to block easy access or I would have almost no wall space)DONE
    *empty shed ne summer kitchen Not even started
    *remove plants /yank out ivy/ amend the soil/replace wanted plants in a tiny strip bed by the east shed walldecided to NOT do this
    *add compost to as many places as it will last for!in process
    *re-mulch around day liliesnot started
    *divide and rehome some of my early spring native plants to newly cleared shade by old dog kennelin process
    *remove fence, posts, debris from said kennel areaminimum progress, but started!
    ADDED: do a partial water change in tiny-pond and install new pump/filter

I did the semi-annual closet cleanout yesterday.

Thanks, early morning. The commission was for a pair of trousers, sleeveless top, and a light duster style sweater. I got my start at sewing with cosplay. I went to an anime convention and saw the costumes and wanted to make one. Mom let me borrow her sewing machine and said I could ask any questions. I will warn you it can be an expensive hobby and DD will pick up other hobbies on the way. I learned how to knit because I needed thigh high socks for a cosplay. It's fun and educational, I learned more about physics while styling wigs than I did in a classroom. Depending on your DD's comfort level, she can cosplay at movies, library events, and do photoshoots in a public place like a park.

Here's a link to a list of conventions in the world, you can search by dates, geography, or guests.
    https://fancons.com/events/

If you or DD would like any advice or have questions about the hobby, feel free to PM me

Thread Information