Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by hana View Post
    Thanks, early morning. The commission was for a pair of trousers, sleeveless top, and a light duster style sweater. I got my start at sewing with cosplay. I went to an anime convention and saw the costumes and wanted to make one. Mom let me borrow her sewing machine and said I could ask any questions. I will warn you it can be an expensive hobby and DD will pick up other hobbies on the way. I learned how to knit because I needed thigh high socks for a cosplay. It's fun and educational, I learned more about physics while styling wigs than I did in a classroom. Depending on your DD's comfort level, she can cosplay at movies, library events, and do photoshoots in a public place like a park.

Here's a link to a list of conventions in the world, you can search by dates, geography, or guests.
    https://fancons.com/events/

If you or DD would like any advice or have questions about the hobby, feel free to PM me
    This post is wonderful, and belongs in the "Our Creative Endeavors" thread--or whatever it's called.

Yppej
    The anti-vax group met in a different location with parking tonight so I decided to check out their meeting. They are more focused on other things now like school curriculum rather than covid mandates, so it's not really my area of interest.

I don't feel like I'm progressing very rapidly on this list, but classes at The Clay School are partly responsible, and that's OK with me.
    Update:
    Declutter Mom's second floor - in progress
    Wash windows, screens, & curtains - washed 6 windows and 5 screens this weekend, so I've at least started
    Build rolling pantry (small carpentry project)
    Clean dryer vent
    Start seeds - done, all are either hardening off in the gazebo or in the ground
    Small seasonal miscellany: hang hammock, put out hoses, swap storm door panels for screens - done
    Repair picture (this is a small task that will take less than 30 mins but I've somehow been putting off for at least 2 years).
    Yard cleanup, finish shredding and spreading leaves - in progress
    Sell raincoat on eBay
    Seasonal closet cleanout - done
    Seasonal bedding changeover
    Get out & set up fans and air conditioners - done
    Divide and repot a few houseplants
    Assess trim paint and decide whether to ask crappy house painting company to make good on their warranty and come back for touchups

Yppej
    Have plans to do my May hike next weekend when the weather will be cooler.

Sis and I spent the afternoon cleaning out Mom's linen closet. You might be surprised that this task would take an entire afternoon, but we removed 12 trash bags of stuff for trash, fabric recycling, Saver's donations, humane society donations and a few things we are keeping ourselves. I took away assorted drugs such as Vicodin from the nineties that I dropped off at the medicine disposal bin at the police station.
    I don't actually have a linen closet myself, and perhaps it is just as well.
    BTW, we left Mom with plenty of linens and health and beauty supplies, but it is SO much easier to see what is there now, much less stuff and much more organized. It was a productive day for this team of sisters!

Wow Rosa that’s a ton of linens. I have 2 sets of sheets for both beds and 12 each of bath towels, washcloths and hand towels.

That's so nice of you and your sister, rosa! Glad things are progressing for your mom.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

the story thus far

Pick up anything I want to keep from my parent's house done
    Sort through sewing patterns and inventory them done
    Clear bed in guest bedroom ongoing
    Work on more quilt blocks ongoing
    Finish sewing commission done
    Put away duvet for the winter done
    Put away winter stuff done
    Learn how to darn done
    3 boxes out of the storage unit 2 of 3
    Continue the book cull ongoing

Had to call work tech support and I did some of the pattern inventory while on hold. I went pretty fast once I got started. Managed to get 30% done when they answered the phone. Finished the rest of the inventory as my evening project. I knew I needed to download a podcast or music as background noise to get it done.

Finished darning the last of the socks and they are in the winter storage bin. Gave away lots of books to Memorial day travelers, have a few more pick ups scheduled for tonight.

Still have to go through one more box which I will do in June.

Yppej
    I went in my May hike yesterday and weather permitting will clean the windows next week.

hana - thanks for the info! I've shared it with DD.

My spring list update:
    *wash kitchen windows w/concurrent cleaning of areas that are not accessible when I don't have to get to the windows. DONE
    *clean out shed ne summer kitchen - DONE, yesterday!
    *remove plants /yank out ivy/ amend the soil/replace wanted plants in a tiny strip bed by the east shed wall - decided to NOT do this
    *add compost to as many places as it will last for - still in process
    *re-mulch around day lilies - as done as it's going to be
    *divide and rehome some of my early spring native plants to newly cleared shade by old dog kennel - in process, want to divide more hostas
    *remove fence, posts, debris from said kennel area - still minimal progress, but started!
    ADDED: do a partial water change in tiny-pond and install new pump/filter - did a full water change - DONE!

I have until the Solstice, yes?

Thread Information