Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Challenge

Yppej
    Went on my April hike.

Am attending City Council meetings and speaking out against gentrification.

new update:

Pick up anything I want to keep from my parent's house taking a personal day Tuesday
    Sort through sewing patterns and inventory them have spreadsheet and inventoried two patterns
    Clear bed in guest bedroom ongoing
    Work on more quilt blocks ongoing
    Finish sewing commission trousers done working on top
    Put away duvet for the winter on hold
    Put away winter stuff husband's stuff done, I'm waiting for May
    Learn how to darn darning my first sock tonight
    3 boxes out of the storage unit 1 of 3
    Continue the book cull ongoing

Husband decided it's time to put away his winter stuff, so that's done. April has a habit of throwing curve balls weather wise so I will wait until the first weekend in May to evaluate. Started the pattern inventory and have listed two patterns so far. Going to parent's house on Tuesday to start clearing out my stuff.

Clearing the bed hit a snag since I put a bunch of books that students of teacher friend might like on it. Need to find a staging area for the books since it's a six month wait until we can deliver them.

Still keeping at it.

You are doing well, Hana.
    I feel like a slouch this go round, but as Hana points out, some items do need to wait until the weather gets a bit warmer.
    I have repotted some of the plants that needed it, and I have planted many of my seeds, but it was too soon for the cosmos; will do them in another week or so. DH put out the hoses and I hung the hammock.
    I've kind of stalled out with Mom's house only because I had some other things on the agenda last weekend, and DH and I are going over to share a meal with her today. Would I rather clean out drawers - yes, but is it more important to socialize and have dinner with her - also yes.

Rosa: Sometimes things happen and you're dependent on the weather or other event beyond your control. Sunday night we had a frost advisory and this morning husband had to grab his hat and gloves before leaving for the bus stop since it was in the low 30s at 5am this morning. By the end of the week I will have to put the rest of my challenges on hold and focus on the commission only since it has a delivery date of May 15.

Slight change of plan, not going to Parent's house today since Mom emailed me yesterday to cancel since she's sick. Operation pick up stuff is on hold until she's feeling better.

Darned a sock heel last night, it's not pretty but it works. It's a case of getting better with practice.

Yppej
    No response from the skydiving place and despite the aviation mask mandate being lifted they still require it per their website so that's out.

The yard is in pretty good shape - more weeds than leaves at this point.

After nearly a month on my spring list:
    *wash kitchen windows w/concurrent cleaning of areas that are not accessible when I don't have to get to the windows. (My old farmhouse is full of windows and doors. I have to block easy access or I would have almost no wall space) too cold to have windows open, except on days it rains...
    *empty shed ne summer kitchen ditto
    *remove plants /yank out ivy/ amend the soil/replace wanted plants in a tiny strip bed by the east shed wall ummm... see above
    *add compost to as many places as it will last for! nope, waiting for better weather
    *re-mulch around day lilies same old, same old
    *divide and rehome some of my early spring native plants to newly cleared shade by old dog kennel sensing a pattern here....
    *remove fence, posts, debris from said kennel area HA! managed to find an hour without snow or rain when I was home, and three small trash trees/bushes
    out, and a small section of fence!! Progress, of a sort!

Yppej
    Early morning, this is why "April is the cruelest month". I am also stymied some with outdoor tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Early morning, this is why "April is the cruelest month".
    One of my favorite poems.

So, my big challenge is another big idea. Sometimes I think I should just give it a rest, but it's hard to. I'm such a great starter and such a terrible finisher.

I'm not sure if anyone would happen to recall but way back when I took my permaculture course I got all excited about starting a local food delivery service. I registered the name, and made connections with several local food producers and even got a couple of customers.. but it fizzled for a myriad of reasons. Mainly because in the final analysis I saw too many reasons to not go all in on it.

I had started the business's Facebook page which I never took down. Just lately, now that I'm experiencing some downtime, I'm thinking of resurrecting that page. I've already reclassified it as a "cause/community" rather than a "business" and changed the blurb about the site and the banner. My intention is to have a place to share environmental/nature/simple iiving/ecology posts. I don't like using my personal FB page as a mouthpiece for my opinions. So with a FB page dedicated to that "cause" friends could opt in or not.

At one point I thought I could launch it on Earth Day but I'm not ready. I'm not ready because I'm not 100% sure I should do it. But every day I get so many cool ideas for sharing information and inspiration.

So my spring challenge is to decide whether or not to make a 100% commitment to it. And if the answer is YES, the next step is just enough preparation and just enough analysis and plenty of "just-do-it"
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Sounds like a wonderful idea, catherine. Good luck if you decide to proceed with it.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

catherine, that sounds like a wonderful idea. But what do i know, other than this site, I don't use social media - I didn't know there were different classifications of face book pages.

Update on ONE of my spring to do goals: I have three of my five kitchen windows washed, along with all of the clearing/cleaning/blind-washing that goes with. Only 2 to go! I'm out of town mush of tomorrow, but maybe Friday....

Thread Information