Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: House next door sold for $100K over list

Just catching up with this thread now. Having grown up with an alcoholic father and my enabling mother, one of the best things I ever did was to move away and then eventually cut them off. Mother died last fall. I didn’t go to the funeral.

I have no patience with addicts. They made their own bed and they can deal with it. I am totally in favor of cutting your losses and walking away. If they wanted to get clean and improve their lift, they would. Instead, they drag every one around down with them.

Well, as I've stated, BIL's main problem isn't that he drinks too much. He has really cut down/eliminated much of his drinking due to CHF. His problem is his lack of life skills.

In my life, I have tried to live by the Serenity Prayer, which has helped me maintain loving relationships with alcoholics in my life without getting dragged down. But I understand that some some people, alcoholic or not-- are truly toxic, in which case, cutting them off with no contact is definitely appropriate.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

So in 2020, my late boss and a couple buddies sold the house they had built next to a national park, on a mountain, a couple miles from Ruby Ridge. They were going to put that money into another house on a lake up there. That changed when he died.
    Covid hit and Idaho I guess stayed open, and a bunch of people from Washington and California started moving to town.
    That $280K house they were going to buy, just sold for $750K. And I thought this market was nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    So in 2020, my late boss and a couple buddies sold the house they had built next to a national park, on a mountain, a couple miles from Ruby Ridge. They were going to put that money into another house on a lake up there. That changed when he died.
    Covid hit and Idaho I guess stayed open, and a bunch of people from Washington and California started moving to town.
    That $280K house they were going to buy, just sold for $750K. And I thought this market was nuts.
    A friend shared that a nearby 100 unit one-floor condo development finished in 2020 was mostly purchased by investors who are now profitably renting these units. Seniors who had downsized larger homes and purchased one of these units are so disappointed as the rental units are not being cared for by the tenants who come and go frequently. Not a peaceful community!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    A friend shared that a nearby 100 unit one-floor condo development finished in 2020 was mostly purchased by investors who are now profitably renting these units. Seniors who had downsized larger homes and purchased one of these units are so disappointed as the rental units are not being cared for by the tenants who come and go frequently. Not a peaceful community!
    That is so sad for any of the folks that actually purchased.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

In my de facto senior citizen condo high rise of 40 units, there are no rentals allowed at all, except for the people who owned prior to the time that rule was made in 2017.

If you think long term rentals are a problem, you should see the havoc that Airbnb rentals are causing in neighborhoods. My neighborhood succeeded in getting one newly renovated building around the corner for me to cut way way down on the number of units they were renting via Air bnb.

The essential problem is that people rent an Airbnb for Thursday night Friday night and Saturday night for big parties. The parties get loud and out of control, drinking druggin, gun play takes place. It is a big big mess. It has Been quiet in my neighborhood since that building was shut down, but they’re having enormous problems in downtown St. Louis lofts.

The Air b'n'b s are a huge problem everywhere, it seems. It was a great idea but quickly got out of hand. Your condo complex got a handle on it in time.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I was surprised to see that some of the 55+ Sun City houses are now rentals.

There are a lot of rentals in my condo complex (two story buildings, part townhouse and part 1/2 BR units). A lot of us seem to be longer term renters. 14 years for me. 4 years for a neighbor. It’s pretty quiet. Mix of singles and couples, plus some families with smaller kids.

You can rent a condo in our building but Airbnb is not allowed.

Thread Information