Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 800 mile trip - fly or drive?

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    AVE Mizar, so both.

Although, rather then a Pinto, I think the Amc Matador Coupe version I like a little better.

Attachment 4312
    that is pretty crazy!

I'd probably vote "drive" for a transatlantic trip--I hate flying that much.

Glad to hear that most agree with my gut feeling - drive instead of fly. We never drive more than 7 or 8 hrs a day. I have always hated flying - the whole cattle car experience and claustrophobic fear-inducing bumpy flights. We have the road trip down pat as we have done it many times though gas will be more.

And then there痴 the whole problem of never being able to take a direct flight which is my problem living as I do in a third class city. For my next trip I stay on the plane through one city where they stop. But on the way back I have to change planes in Dallas.

Of course that first trip can be rerouted, times changed, and I will have to switch planes there too. Blech.

2 drivers it’s a easy road trip. Probably much cheaper too.

All things considered, I would drive.

800 miles each way is a bit beyond what I知 willing to drive unless there痴 a bunch of things I want to see/do along the way. Currently I知 in the middle of a 520 mile road trip to San Diego. My sister asked if I wanted to house sit while she痴 away and since her dog and cat are both adorable, I can work from anywhere, and the change of scenery appealed I said yes.

I decided to drive so that I could also stop for a night or two in LA on the way home and visit a good friend. Then SO decided he wanted to spend his birthday week (the week after next) in Palm Springs. So now I知 on a two week driving adventure. I drove halfway down this afternoon and am at a hotel in beautiful Bakersfield. Tomorrow morning I値l go on to San Diego. Then Friday I値l drive up to LA for two nights. Then to Palm Springs, pick up SO at the airport and spend four nights doing nothing more strenuous than sitting by the pool and eating nice dinners. (And maybe going out for a couple of hikes in the mornings before it gets too hot.) Then we値l head home, breaking up the nine hour drive with a night in the cute town of San Luis Obispo. All in all it will be a lovely time. 1300ish miles of driving but never more than 5 hours in a day which is about my limit unless I have someone with me to share that chore.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    800 miles each way is a bit beyond what I’m willing to drive unless there’s a bunch of things I want to see/do along the way. Currently I’m in the middle of a 520 mile road trip to San Diego. My sister asked if I wanted to house sit while she’s away and since her dog and cat are both adorable, I can work from anywhere, and the change of scenery appealed I said yes.

I decided to drive so that I could also stop for a night or two in LA on the way home and visit a good friend. Then SO decided he wanted to spend his birthday week (the week after next) in Palm Springs. So now I’m on a two week driving adventure. I drove halfway down this afternoon and am at a hotel in beautiful Bakersfield. Tomorrow morning I’ll go on to San Diego. Then Friday I’ll drive up to LA for two nights. Then to Palm Springs, pick up SO at the airport and spend four nights doing nothing more strenuous than sitting by the pool and eating nice dinners. (And maybe going out for a couple of hikes in the mornings before it gets too hot.) Then we’ll head home, breaking up the nine hour drive with a night in the cute town of San Luis Obispo. All in all it will be a lovely time. 1300ish miles of driving but never more than 5 hours in a day which is about my limit unless I have someone with me to share that chore.
    I would not consider a car vacation to be too much of a chore if I could limit it to five or six hours. I will do up to eight but that is it. Well is slightly less boring to drive, I still don’t want to do it. I’m probably going to do an 8 Hour Dr. next fall but maybe I’ll break it up who knows.

@jp1

I just did 5.5 hours after a full day of work from Chicago area to Toledo for diving tomorrow. Drive back tomorrow. I might run the 1.5 up to the Detroit area to visit a friend briefly then drive home.

Most of my trips are time dependent. If I have the time, I prefer to drive, otherwise it is fly.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information