Thread: Song thread

Song thread

Just going to start a song thread, after that other thread has got me listening.

Today I listened at work after not being able to get one of the songs from the other day, out of my head. Someone I listened to, that I seem to be the only one I know of, locally, is John Martyn.

I am currently listening to the Tribute album to him. And this has me thinking......
    There have been tribute albums that have caused new memories and sometimes I like them in a different way then the original songs....
    Examples, Levon Helm's tribute concert album, as well as the Concert for George....

but then there are songs, that I actually prefer the later version...

Example Hurt by Johnny Cash.

What are ones you prefer the covers on, and what ones do you find different enough to like them another way?

I tend to think of the first version I heard of a song as the "real" one. J Geils Band was one of my favorite bands in my teenage years, and I was astonished to learn quite a bit later that all their early hits were covers. I can appreciate "I'm Looking for a Love" by the Supremes, and "First I Look at the Purse" by the Contours, but the J Geils Band versions will always seem like the "real" versions to me.

I do like Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah, and even though I'm a die-hard Beatles fan and no one can do their songs like they do, Joe Cocker's "I Get By With a Little Help from My Friends" isn't bad at all.

And even though I'm a huge Judy Garland fan, I do really like IZ Kamakawiwoʻole's version of "Over The Rainbow." I've always loved Eva Cassidy and her cover of the song is good, but not as good as Kamakawiwo'ole's.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

but then there are songs, that I actually prefer the later version...

Example Hurt by Johnny Cash.
    yes but I definitely prefer Social Distortion's version of Ring of Fire
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I do like Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah, and even though I'm a die-hard Beatles fan and no one can do their songs like they do, Joe Cocker's "I Get By With a Little Help from My Friends" isn't bad at all.

And even though I'm a huge Judy Garland fan, I do really like IZ Kamakawiwoʻole's version of "Over The Rainbow." I've always loved Eva Cassidy and her cover of the song is good, but not as good as Kamakawiwo'ole's.
    I really like that version of "Over the Rainbow" too, probably better than the original now that I think about it.

DH is listening to one of my old favorites in the other room, "Swan Lake" by Madness. Yes, I learned to love the Madness version first, and then went on to realize that Tchaikovsky wasn't half bad!

For years, I didn't even realize Joe Cockers version was a cover, as I heard it a lot more then the Beatles version.
    I remember hearing Over the Rainbow on Finding Forrester, and thinking "now there's a song", rather then "movie theme songs".

Peter Schillings, Major Tom, is another one I heard in the 80's, that I always thought of as more of a remix.

Just want to say I prefer Johnny Cash's Hurt and Johnny Cash's Southern Accent, which is one of my favorite songs.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I really like that version of "Over the Rainbow" too, probably better than the original now that I think about it.
    Add me to this list as well. I love his version! I think his version may have added to the motivation of one of my kids buying a ukulele and starting to self-teach.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Just want to say I prefer Johnny Cash's Hurt and Johnny Cash's Southern Accent, which is one of my favorite songs.
    Better than Tom Petty, can not be.

I like Tom Petty's version of Needles and Pins. Dixie Chicks version of Landslide probably better than Fleetwood Macs.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information