Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: April Purge

Quote Originally Posted by ejchase View Post
    I took 2 items back to stores and gave away 2 items to my Buy Nothing Group. New total for month: 76.
    Question, I see you add returned items to your total. When you buy items, do you reduce your total? For example: Total is 76. You buy 2 sweaters - new total is now 74. Return one of the sweaters - new total is now 75.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    Some things I just don't like - overcoming sunk cost fallacy here -

A cactus that has gotten uglier over the years. I am not good with houseplants, and now even with cacti. I have a bigger cactus as well I may tackle over the weekend. No matter how I have rotated them over the years they go crooked among other things.

Cheese that is too sharp.

Instant coffee I bought when I could not find regular coffee in the store. I will switch to tea instead - could use a caffeine stepdown anyways.

Me too on the sunk cost fallacy. A pretty but uncomfortable pillow and a throw rug that only a mother could love--it was a nice but very ratty now. A really cute pitcher that I bought not realizing until I went to dust it yesterday that it had a crack. Note to self, wear glasses and take a magnifying glass when shopping for antiques.
    I have a bag of books to take to Hannaford. I love to get books at the exchange and donate money, then redonate the books.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Question, I see you add returned items to your total. When you buy items, do you reduce your total? For example: Total is 76. You buy 2 sweaters - new total is now 74. Return one of the sweaters - new total is now 75.
    Hi Happystuff!

No, I don't reduce my total for items I buy. I just decided to add returned items to my total because I noticed a few years ago that a big source of my clutter was stuff I bought, didn't end up using or liking, and didn't return. I thought adding it to my decluttering total might motivate me to be better about returning it, which it has. I know some people here get rid of something every time they buy something new, but I'm just not there yet. I'm just trying to celebrate every damn thing I get out of the house.

Yesterday, I took 17 items to Goodwill, and on Tuesday and yesterday, I gave away 10 items to people on my Buy Nothing Group.

New total for month: 103!

Been regularly purging things but finally decided to document here the most recent items:

Last week taken to Goodwill:
    15 tops
    1 suit
    4 shirts
    5 pairs of pants
    2 scarves
    1 glass vase
    2 bath towels
    1 queen sized sheet
    1 glass pitcher

Tossed: 1 top and 1 shirt, several pairs of socks getting holey by now

Donated to library: 4 books

Taken to electronic recycling: broken shredder, worn out coffee grinder, broken LED holiday lights

And...there's still more coming

Thanks for the explanation, ejchase. I was wondering how you handled it. Sounds good and you are doing fabulous!!! Congrats!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Yppej
    A pair of shoes that were not comfortable.

Nice job, saguaro. Your post is a reminder to me that I really need to take a look at clothes and do some purging.

I read that most people only wear 20% of their clothes.

Yppej
    In the electronic category, an ebook app. My library changed the one they use and I don't like the replacement. This also involves giving up 10 books and ehold and blocking the emails from the app. I am back to hard copy books only, as I was pre-pandemic.

Thread Information