Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

A staple at this empty nester's home after Church on Sunday's is grilled cheese sandwiches. Most of the time we have them on just white bread, or if I remember to pick up some sour dough bread, that is the best. We use either pepper-jack or cheddar cheese or sometimes both. Sometimes we will add a slice of fresh tomato with the cheese. I am starting to like my bread toasted dry, both sides, then add the cheese(s). My dw likes hers buttered then grilled.

One thing about grilled cheese sandwiches they are open to lots of variations. Do you have a favorite way of cooking your grilled cheese sandwiches?

On sourdough sounds divine!

i like tuna and cheese melts, too.

I like rye bread--usually Jewish rye or dill--buttered and grilled. Cheeses are allover the place--sharp cheddar, cream cheese, truffle, pepper jack, blue for a bit of kick. Including thinly sliced onion or bacon is a plus. Sourdough is good, too.

shessh why didn't I think of dill bread - both dw and I love dill. On the list for grocery store tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg44 View Post
    One thing about grilled cheese sandwiches they are open to lots of variations. Do you have a favorite way of cooking your grilled cheese sandwiches?
    On a bun, with a beef patty under the cheese.

Although recently I saw a new way of cooking them, that I wouldn't have thought of; putting the toaster on its side.
    This reminds me, I need to see if there is a recipe site, that you pull up things by typing in ingredients.
    I have been wanting to make something, that I don't remember how I made it, around 30 years ago.

Heavy sourdough is my favorite for grilled cheese. I'm flexible on the cheese and have made them with a variety of different cheeses. You really can't go wrong. Although parmesan probably wouldn't work well because I've never actually seen it melted except when shredded onto pasta. But a slice of it would still be solid after the bread was burnt enough to set off the dinner alarm if you tried to make a grilled cheese with it.

I remember reading a while back about a kid who wanted to make his grilled cheese open face. Basically it was bread with cheese on top, but not another slice of bread on top. He put it in the pan, bread side down, until the bread was browned and then, like an over easy egg, flipped it but only let it grill the naked cheese side for a few seconds before removing. Supposedly it gave the cheese a quick flash sear that made it perfectly toasted. I've not tried this so I have no idea how good it might actually be.

Jp when you visit St. louis do your inlaws serve you our local cheese, Provel? It is awful white stuff but apparently it has magical melting powers and has earned a fan base for that.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Jp when you visit St. louis do your inlaws serve you our local cheese, Provel? It is awful white stuff but apparently it has magical melting powers and has earned a fan base for that.
    SO LOVES that gawd awful IMO's pizza that's made with it. Ugggh.

Saute shallots in butter (or oil, but butter is best), stuff them in the sandwich with the cheese before you grill it. I like sharp (aged a bit) cheddar. Any good bread works.
    Trees don't grow on money

Butter with really good cheddar or maybe a mix of cheeses like swiss, gouda, etc. Thinly slice an apple and put the slices between the cheese. Got the idea from a popular local restaurant. Try to use a seeded wheat bread.

Thread Information