Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Less than 1,000 miles from Kiev.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Less than 1,000 miles from Kiev.....

My Austrian relatives are worried. The older ones are absolutely stunned that the Post WW2 order seems over - and are not sure of what will replace it. Something else interesting - If Russia does not pay back various Western Banks - Austrian banks are owed more than American. That stunned me. The EU is pulling together so far in it's stance towards the unprovoked War. Only Hungary seems weak there. Astrid told me she would send regular emails so we know all in Vienna are OK.
    Posting this is bizarre for me - I never believed there would be another War in Europe in my lifetime. I grew up on WW2 aftermath stories and would like to believe human beings understand that no one truly wins a war. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I grew up on WW2 aftermath stories and would like to believe human beings understand that no one truly wins a war. Rob

LOL good one.

The targeting of civilians today was heartbreaking. Especially sad were the dead children.

"In 2006, the United States Board on Geographic Names, a federal body that standardizes geographic names, adopted “Kyiv” as the preferred spelling. In 2019, the board retired “Kiev” as an alternative."

I just assumed the first was transliterated from Ukrainian and the second was transliterated from Russian.

Yppej
    Posting this is bizarre for me - I never believed there would be another War in Europe in my lifetime. I grew up on WW2 aftermath stories and would like to believe human beings understand that no one truly wins a war. Rob
    Post WW2 -

There was a war when Yugoslavia broke apart.

There was a war in Crimea and the Donbass region.

If you consider the Caucasus part of Europe not Asia there have been many more wars in Georgia, Chechnya, etc.

Ditto if you consider Cyprus part of Europe.

You might not have believed it, but it happened.

Just received another email from Astrid. More Ukranians are arriving. Costs are going up every week - gas, food, and energy are the biggies.
    Here's a stunner coming from an upper middle class Austrian. She sends that she thinks I'm wise stocking up on clothes (but not bedding I noticed) at the sold by weight Nogales Goodwill. Apparently clothing is getting more expensive now.
    There is fear in the air - but not extreme - of Russia moving on to destroy Moldova and move West from there. Astrid is thinking of starting a YouTube Channel regarding changes in Austria/Vienna since February 24th. She says nobody really knows what to expect and thanks us for being happy to put them up - though she believes a nuclear war would take place before things went that far - but she also realizes due to paperwork signed in 1955, Austria is not in NATO. I like how she closed. Of course we are full Austrian and you have the blood.
    Translation:. We'll figure it out. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Post WW2 -

If you consider the Caucasus part of Europe not Asia there have been many more wars in Georgia, Chechnya, etc.

One of the strangest travel experiences I've ever had was in Salzburg in May 1987. I went to the Yugoslavian Consulate in Salzburg for a visa for Riyeka (so) and I was called to the counter before masses of waiting Yugoslavs - and no resentment on their part either. If only they knew more Americans than they ever thought knew struggle and fear. I was treated as if I lived in what they thought America was. It was so bizarre. I ended out getting a visa for Hungary instead. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Post WW2 -

About these wars -yoy are correct, they did happen. I'm talking of an invasion of this sweeping extent reigniting a new Cold War. Rob

…shd says no one really know what to expect..l.…
    Astrid can expect severe food shortages since the Ukraine feeds all of Europe. If Astrid doesn’t have a garden she had better get one, and plant it.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 4-23-22 at 7:23pm.

Thread Information