Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Less than 1,000 miles from Kiev.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Some good friends of mine for 30+ years, who live only about 20 miles away, have been over in eastern Europe the past month or so doing aid work for the immigrants.

They submitted their Hungarian citizenship application just this last Friday, and intend to remain, along with their children. (To be fair, they both speak the language, and several others, fluently, and have family there.)
    Though I don't care for Hungary's leader, this is a wise move as far as I see it. Best wishes to these new Hungarians/EU citizens.

Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Another email from Astrid. She says there seems to be a sense that the war may not last much longer due to Putin's (alleged) health issues. Austrians are looking more towards the economic fallout of this insanity now. She says every time she goes to Billa (an Austrian supermarket chain) she notices price increases and out of solidarity, Austrians are cutting back on meat. She says the fear of the Russian military appearing at Austria's border is dwindling. Not much else to report - at the moment. Rob

I hope the fact that Russian morale is in the tank--they're forced to fight with woefully inadequate supplies (like 1943-era weapons) against an army of well-equipped and totally dedicated Ukrainians--and many are trying to figure out how to legally get back home--will help bring an end to this atrocity. Reports indicate that 30% of Russian troops are casualties now.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I hope the fact that Russian morale is in the tank
    Interesting pun there Jane, since they seem to be blowing up and hauling off their tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Interesting pun there Jane, since they seem to be blowing up and hauling off their tanks.
    Haha! Inadvertent humor. There's some kind of design flaw that makes Russian tanks particularly likely to go up in flames, if they don't just bog down in the mud or suffer the all too common mechanical breakdown.

I don’t think outdated equipment is their major problem. Others, the Israelis for instance, have worked wonders with jury-rigged castoffs. The bulk of the Ukrainian arsenal is very similar.

Their primary failures have been in staff planning, logistics, doctrine and training. Their military culture makes no allowance for initiative at the junior officer/NCO level, which is essential for combined arms operations. The Ukrainians learned from their defeat in Crimea. The Russians learned nothing. I think that has made a bigger difference than some Javelin missiles and M777 howitzers.

The Russians could still win through attrition and sheer brutality, but it won’t be through military professionalism. It could well mean they end up as a minor partner to the Chinese.

Thread Information