Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Less than 1,000 miles from Kiev.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Astrid can expect severe food shortages since the Ukraine feeds all of Europe. If Astrid doesn’t have a garden she had better get one, and plant it.
    Sometimes you do hit right on what's going on. Her and her husband are planting a food garden in a few weeks. And it's good advice, too! I can't grasp how expensive food is becoming, (here) - it's good advice for all who can do it. Rob

I just wanted to add - I'm growing what I can. Citrus and figs and this Summer, sunflowers, Armenian cucumbers, and okra. Hopefully we will have a good monsoon - such is predicted by NOAA - and there'll be water for everyone planting. Rob

Astrid sent another email. She drove to Salzburg this past week and was stunned at what petrol cost. A lunch with a mutual friend was 75% higher than last year. Stopping for a quick bite on the way back to Vienna at a non-touristy place - 50% more than her last memory.
    Everything is getting more expensive and no one is talking about food insecurity - it would be socially incorrect to do so (this is an Austrian quirk I find highly annoying). Her and her husband are putting together a garden - but for food. More Ukrainians are arriving and housing costs are soaring and it's hard to get a medical appt unless crossing into Hungary and paying cash.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    ... and it's hard to get a medical appt unless crossing into Hungary and paying cash.
    Some good friends of mine for 30+ years, who live only about 20 miles away, have been over in eastern Europe the past month or so doing aid work for the immigrants.

They submitted their Hungarian citizenship application just this last Friday, and intend to remain, along with their children. (To be fair, they both speak the language, and several others, fluently, and have family there.)

Yppej
    Came out of a ward meeting and people are afraid to speak up and challenge the status quo on camera, but were all saying afterwards our needs at home are so great, we shouldn't be spending billions of dollars on Ukraine.

The war could go on for years. It's an endless money pit.

Ukraine sure got a good return on their investment hiring Hunter I'm a crackhead with no experience in energy Biden for a mere $1 million per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Ah, and up pops our Russian troll.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Ah, and up pops our Russian troll.
    Yeah, everyone in my city is a Russian troll. I live in Trollville, USA.

I thought the moderators told you before to stop calling me a troll?

Oh, but you're an elite, and drop names of other elites, and fly to the UK during a covid surge while scolding other people, flaunting your pandemic privilege. So the rules of moderation or rules in general don't apply to you, do they?

You might want to get your blood pressure checked.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    You might want to get your blood pressure checked.
    No kidding. The mRNA vaccines can mess with blood pressure. Last time I'll ever get a vaccine.

Last time I'll ever get a vaccine.
    So you finally admit to having converted to being an anti-vaxxer?

Thread Information