Thread: Law and Order

Law and Order

Back in the pre-orange asshole days the republican party were the "law and order" party. Now they are the "law and order unless the person has young children" party? I don't understand. The republicans just keep going further and further off the rails and no one seems to be willing to point out that they are just a completely failed political party. From having a failure of a president try to overturn an election to having a wackadoodle representative call several senators from the party pro-pedophile to this, trying to justify law breaking because the law breaker had little kids. I realize that all the people here who identify as republicans will just ignore me because that's easier than addressing the fact that you belong to a failed party but WTF. The fact that a significant minority of americans are dumb enough to stick with these turds makes me wonder how damn much lead was in everyone's drinking water.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1511814632280760323

The comments in the tweet you linked has to do with people potentially being held in contempt of Congress for failing to appear before a committee. Neither of the individuals involved have been charged with a crime although some Democrats are suggesting that their failure to comply with a committee's request should be prosecuted as a crime, something that hasn't been done in modern times. Doing so would establish a modern precedent of political persecution that most reasonable people would rather avoid.

Are you suggesting that Eric Holder should have been criminally prosecuted for his contempt of Congress citation? Or perhaps you're suggesting that Congress has absolute power to force individuals to submit to their political will and that anyone disagreeing should be jailed?

In a case such as this I'm not sure 'Law and Order' means what you think it does.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    The comments in the tweet you linked has to do with people potentially being held in contempt of Congress for failing to appear before a committee. Neither of the individuals involved have been charged with a crime although some Democrats are suggesting that their failure to comply with a committee's request should be prosecuted as a crime, something that hasn't been done in modern times. Doing so would establish a modern precedent of political persecution that most reasonable people would rather avoid.

Are you suggesting that Eric Holder should have been criminally prosecuted for his contempt of Congress citation? Or perhaps you're suggesting that Congress has absolute power to force individuals to submit to their political will and that anyone disagreeing should be jailed?

In a case such as this I'm not sure 'Law and Order' means what you think it does.
    Yes, but scrape off the playground insults and urge to be wrapped up in the warm blanket of Trump hate, I do think there is a point here: is the Republican Party still a viable instrument for the conservative project?

I think both major parties have been abandoning universal principals in favor of the tribal grudge of the moment and the slimy thrill of ad hominem attacks. I think the Trump years pushed the GOP to the left on economic issues while encouraging the odder elements on the culture warrior right. Not the Reaganesque agenda I would like to see.

I think that this philosophical/ideological decline has been matched by an even more precipitous drop in standards of the opposing party. We will probably see the results of their flight from reality In November.

Personally I am disgusted with both parties. I remember the days when people worked across the aisle to compromise and get things done. The last decent candidates for president were when Obama ran against McCain and then Romney. Those elections caused me to seriously consider both candidates and make a decision. I don’t like elections where you are choosing the best of the worst. While I am on my soapbox we also need younger candidates and term limits for senators and congressional representatives.

You can't work across the aisle when one party's repeated goal is to stymie the other.

I don't think either party matters much anymore in getting things done. It does seem like Republicans are like playground bullies or maybe the media just presents them that way.

Thread Information