Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: April Frugals

April Frugals

I finally bought a new vacuum cleaner after pondering the matter for a long time. My last few vacuums have been cheap Bissells in the $50 - $60 range, and I think I've been penny wise and pound foolish, because they seem to pick up debris on the front end and spew out dust from the back end. I also don't love the idea of buying disposable crap to send into the waste stream every few years. I wanted better filtration, but light weight was also one of my top criteria, and of course I didn't want to spent more than necessary. I made a decision and ordered one online (cheapest model Miele). The company rep called me and told me they were having supply chain issues with the brand across their entire line. He offered me a vacuum by another brand that runs $100 more (Sebo), but said he would give me the same price as what I ordered. I checked it out online, and it seemed to have all the virtues of my original selection, so I went for it. It even has a 5-yr warranty vs. 1-year for my original choice, so I think I'm getting a good deal. I can report back on how satisfactory it is.

I also went to Savers with Sis yesterday. I found a brand-new Lands' End plaid shirt for DH, and a nice flowy kind of black cardigan thingy for me (in anticipation of an occasion where Vista camp pants and hoodie won't do). The cardigan looked brand new as well. It was senior discount day, so I paid about $12 for the two items., which felt like a nice score.

Nice scores, rr!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Do report on the vacuum sweeper. I need a light stick type sweeper for my condo. If that seems to work OK after a while I may get one for our Hermann house as well. We have hardwood floors everywhere, so at the moment without rugs, I have no need for heavy duty vacuuming.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 4-7-22 at 9:39am.

Yppej
    Cooked the last of the big bag of rice. After this I will not buy more. I am trying to be focused on long-term frugality (losing weight and saving on medical expenses down the road) vs short-term (eating free carb heavy snacks at work or cheap carbs at home).

Already I have given up flour and potatoes except for special occasions. I will likely have a roll with my veggie burger for Red Sox Opening Day at work.

Yppej
    I am noticing with the newer, looser jeans I bought they let my body breathe more and I don't have to wash them after every use.

Jeppy: I've been trying to shift to quinoa at least some of the time. It isn't cheap, but it's a reasonably good substitute and supposed to be a lot healthier.

Yppej
    Quinoa is one thing on my list - too much of it and I don't feel to great, but I can take it in moderation. I thought I might also try barley. And maybe some more substantial fruits like bananas.

Beans of course are filling and cheap, but have side effects (or should I say rear effects).

Still struggling to be more frugal in my daily life - things are getting more expensive and still it's difficult to curtail spending on things we value. Mostly fresh fruits and veggies, twice-weekly coffee out (for several people, depending...) and the weekly treats of take out and/or desserts out. Supporting local businesses is important to us (coffee, desserts) and I do appreciate a non-nutritious fast-food meal sometimes, lol. There's not a lot of fat in the budget but what there is, we enjoy. *sigh*. Doing well with the food waste, and planning to have a small garden this summer, although I really don't much like taking care of vegetables. I have a stock tank I've been using for tomatoes, and this year I think I'm going to fill it with wax beans and put tomatoes in smaller, shorter wash tubs. Raised plantings are much nicer for my back to deal with! But it's snowing this morning, so that will have to wait!

Had a jar full of coins to took to Coin Star kiosk at regular grocery store this morning. Got an Amazon gift card. $66.75. The soft bagels I like were on sale. I take a can of good soup to work for lunch almost daily. Campbells Chunky 2/$4. The others were $3/can not on sale. Yikes. And no regular chicken noodle I eat a ton of. Probably got 10-12 cans. Hit Aldi for a bunch of stuff. Milk, eggs, yogurt, etc. Spent $48 and got a lot. I’m set for two weeks I hope aside from milk. I drink a ton.

Yppej
    Gas has inched down a small amount, but it's unlikely I will hit my aggressive budget goal unless it goes lower. I am still going to the cheap gas station in the hood. Today people were cutting the line to the cashier and there was an aggressive panhandler. It made for an interesting time.

Thread Information