Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Doing Enough For Ukraine?

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Are we now required to allocate our outrage along racial/geographic lines? So much each for Uighurs, Tibetans, Rohingya? Equity in where our sympathies must be directed?
    No, we should have sympathies with everyone, and not have a fixed amount of sympathy to allocate. Resources are another story - they are not infinite, and I would rather they be used domestically.

I recently read The Border by a woman who circled Russia and wrote about its history. The conflict with its neighbors has been unending. It's like the Middle East. It's never going to end. This could be another Vietnam, or Afghanistan.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    No, we should have sympathies with everyone, and not have a fixed amount of sympathy to allocate.
    Realistically, I think everyone has some limit on their capacity for genuine compassion.

Unrealistically, I think pretending you do and assuming that qualifies you to call others on it is one of the emptier gestures in the virtue-signaling playbook.

People may have limits to their sympathies, it may be first them and the people they know and care about, maybe then their city, location, state, country. See that's not that hard to understand.

However, Ukraine is none of these to most Americans, so why some crises get the attention and others don't is an open question.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post

However, Ukraine is none of these to most Americans, so why some crises get the attention and others don't is an open question.
    If the people are white then they get more attention. Ukrainians are white.

It's like missing persons cases. Think Gabby Petito - young, white, pretty - lots of attention. The many women of color who go missing each year - largely ignored.

No, we should have sympathies with everyone, and not have a fixed amount of sympathy to allocate. Resources are another story - they are not infinite, and I would rather they be used domestically.

I recently read The Border by a woman who circled Russia and wrote about its history. The conflict with its neighbors has been unending. It's like the Middle East. It's never going to end. This could be another Vietnam, or Afghanistan.
    Sympathies without resources to assist are as worthless as all the stupid thoughts and prayers that get thrown around after every big shooting event.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Sympathies without resources to assist are as worthless as all the stupid thoughts and prayers that get thrown around after every big shooting event.
    You say you're an atheist, but you see yourself as a Christ figure who is going to save the world. Maybe you could assassinate Putin since Rob's not going to.

Where the **** did you come up with that nonsense. I see myself as a citizen of the richest country on the planet. One that has an interest in seeing Russia fail in this war so that hopefully there won’t be any more future wars of Russian aggression. And that has an interest in supporting liberal democracies around the world. If that, in your mind, translates to ‘JP sees himself as a Christlike figure’ you need a shrink for far more than your OCD.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Where the **** did you come up with that nonsense. I see myself as a citizen of the richest country on the planet. One that has an interest in seeing Russia fail in this war so that hopefully there won’t be any more future wars of Russian aggression. And that has an interest in supporting liberal democracies around the world. If that, in your mind, translates to ‘JP sees himself as a Christlike figure’ you need a shrink for far more than your OCD.
    So you're not Christ but Fauci is still a saint:

https://images.app.goo.gl/e4WQ4CLL1aYF5zhbA

So you're not Christ but Fauci is still a saint:

https://images.app.goo.gl/e4WQ4CLL1aYF5zhbA
    Now you’re just being a mediocre troll. If you’re gonna strive to be a troll you should work to at least be entertaining.

With Jeppy, all roads lead to Fauci. Even Russian revanchists can bring us back to the mask obsession.

Thread Information