Thread: does anyone have a hand mixer they like?

does anyone have a hand mixer they like?

Does anyone have a good hand mixer they bought fairly recently? A hand mixer for making cookies and cake and whip cream and so on (I don't mean a hand blender).

It all seems cheap junk these days, not made like it used to be, and I waiver endlessly between buying cheap junk and not buying it, and then I actually want to make a cake and can't (I learned from my grandmother how to make cookies with just a spoon, but it's a lot of work). So if anyone has any recommendations.
    Trees don't grow on money

Go to a yard sale and get used. Bought a new one not too long ago and it was junk.

I’ve had good luck with a Kitchen Aid I bought maybe 5 years ago. Yes, hand mixer. Not stand. Don’t use it a ton.

DH uses a Kitchenaid Classic III hand mixer, but we've had it for several years at this point. Buying used might be the better way to go.

I have a KitchenAid, but I agree with those who suggest buying used.

Yes, our old Kitchen Aid hahd mixer died two years ago after 30 years of service. I replaced it with KitchenAid mixers I found on eBay. I don’t trust the new ones are any good. And they come in fun colors!
    Last edited by iris lilies; 4-16-22 at 9:29pm.

I was gifted a Kitchen Aid hand mixer about 10 years ago but the beaters were very fragile and I opted not to replace them when they broke, as reviews on the replacements were very poor. Instead I bought a like-new, made-in-U.S. Sunbeam basic hand mixer from the 1970s on eBay or Etsy (yes, it's "harvest gold."). It's perfect for general mixing or whipping cream or egg whites (I also have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer) and I expect it to last forever. Note that Sunbeam's motto used to be (it's written on the manual for the mixer) "built with integrity - backed by service." I only note this because it's so different from the intent of just about anything purchased today, which is "built to break so you'll want to buy another one."

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
    I was gifted a Kitchen Aid hand mixer about 10 years ago but the beaters were very fragile and I opted not to replace them when they broke, as reviews on the replacements were very poor. Instead I bought a like-new, made-in-U.S. Sunbeam basic hand mixer from the 1970s on eBay or Etsy (yes, it's "harvest gold."). It's perfect for general mixing or whipping cream or egg whites (I also have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer) and I expect it to last forever. Note that Sunbeam's motto used to be (it's written on the manual for the mixer) "built with integrity - backed by service." I only note this because it's so different from the intent of just about anything purchased today, which is "built to break so you'll want to buy another one."
    The seventies must represent the gold standard of small appliances. I have popcorn several times a year, and have bought maybe four new poppers, all of which met ignominious deaths within the first 2 or 3 uses. Finally I bought a West Bend Poppery on eBay that I expect will long outlive me.

Thread Information