Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unclaimed property

Unclaimed property

Has anyone else tried the unclaimed property site--
    https://unclaimed.org/search/

It is really easy to use and you select your state and put in your name and the unclaimed properties pop up.

I read about it on another forum and found a couple of refunds that I am filing for. I also found some in my brother's name and told him about it but he thinks it's a scam. My son found a refund from the Chicago Tribune and he filed a claim already and the money is supposedly on its way. You file the claim with your state Treasury.

I was telling other family members and my brother freaked me out by saying it was a scam.

My husband is going to file the one that came up for him in Illinois, and he saw one for his sister.

Has anybody else used this?

It’s not a scam. It’s legit. Each state has its own version of this. Never found anything for me on IL’s site.

Thanks!

I've used the Massachusetts specific one. Between my husband and I, we recovered about $300. This was mostly from fractions of stock we had purchased from our companies 30 years ago, and a couple of retail refunds that had gone to our old address after we had moved.

Oh good, my brother would be using the Massachusetts one.

Yes, I did it once and learned the State was holding a refund from Continental Airlines for me.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Yes, I did it once and learned the State was holding a refund from Continental Airlines for me.
    Catherine, have you done it lately for New Jersey? The three things I found for my son and for me were all after we moved to different states, which is probably why they could not find us.

Several years ago I visited my state's unclaimed funds site and found myself. It showed that I had a $50 refund from a local cable company from back in the late 80's. The problem with collecting was that they wanted me to provide proof that it was my account by submitting a bill from that time period with the appropriate account number and home address on it. Of course, I had no way of doing that as I haven't done business with that company in years and it was several home addresses ago, so those funds remain unclaimed.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Oh, I see. Well, I'll have to see if I can muster up what the Ill site has asked for.

Some states have their own sites and some use sites that cover lots of different states. You should never have to pay a fee.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Thread Information