Thread: Earth Day 2022

Earth Day 2022

The first Earth Day 4/22/1970 was a brainchild of Senator Gaylord Nelson (D-WI), observed initially as teach-ins at various American college campuses.
    http://www.earthday.org/history

The ultimate test of man's conscience may be his willingness to sacrifice something today for future generations whose words of thanks will not be heard.
    -- Gaylord Nelson (1916-2005)

Yppej
    I thought about joining the Citywide cleanup effort, since it's so dirty with masks littering parking lots and roadways, but then I said to myself, No, the covidians who wanted the masks can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    The first Earth Day 4/22/1970 was a brainchild of Senator Gaylord Nelson (D-WI), observed initially as teach-ins at various American college campuses.
    http://www.earthday.org/history

The ultimate test of man's conscience may be his willingness to sacrifice something today for future generations whose words of thanks will not be heard.
    -- Gaylord Nelson (1916-2005)
    Great quote.

My permculture teacher who is the intense, angry, anti-everything kind of enviornmentalist wrote on FB today: Earth Day is Corporate B.S.!! But I think if it serves to pass along gems of wisdom like Gaylord Nelson's quote, or if it provides a platform for many worthy environmental causes to share information or seek donations or volunteers, I'm all for it.

Here's the quote I posted on FB: since I'm still reading Braiding Sweetgrass, this is the one that came to mind by Robin Wall Kimmerer:

“We need acts of restoration, not only for polluted waters and degraded lands, but also for our relationship to the world. We need to restore honor to the way we live, so that when we walk through the world we don’t have to avert our eyes with shame, so that we can hold our heads up high and receive the respectful acknowledgment of the rest of the earth’s beings.”
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Our local news gave more attention to 420 than Earth Day, but I suppose at least climate change is in the news in some form or another pretty routinely. It seems like the environment and climate change are one in the same these days and it's too bad other issues, like habitat loss or other varieties of pollution, don't get much current attention. I took a hike through one of our county open spaces and was treated with some interesting wildlife and the first wildflower blooms of spring time. We had near record heat and wind today, which seemed like an appropriate Earth Day reminder.

I always think of the Pogo cartoon from the 70's Earth Day, "We have met the enemy and he is us."

In other news, the world population is dropping like a bomb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncZW73QMBt8

Thread Information