Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doing The Gig Economy Thing!

Yppej
    Great news!

Thanks all! I really do miss my previous position managing the other gallery. I find that I have to work on letting go of some of my managerial tendencies like wanting to organize other people's work spaces to make them more efficient...in a way it is really nice not having to be responsible for some of the stuff but it can get boring not primping and organizing things. During my down-time at each job I either knit endless pairs of fingerless gloves (to sell in the fall), or lately I have been taking a small drawing pad with the start of a collage pasted in the pages and a little box with pencils/colored pencils to learn to how to draw again. I'm thinking that I would eventually like to start painting (probably abstracts) when when hands and wrists finally poop out from doing silversmithing.

What a wonderful update, SiouzQ! Congrats!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Good to hear such positive news that works well for you.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I'm not hacking it so well at the weed store - WAAAAAAY too much downtime + sitting= BORING! I remember now how much I HATED having to be a receptionist at a hair salon in a department store way back in the late '90's when I hurt myself being the store display person. There is only so much knitting (bad for my hands and wrists), drawing and looking at my phone incessantly for 8 hours that I can mentally take. I like my friend who started the shop, I like the guy I work with, and I like the pay but I cannot do it two days a week in a row. I told him today starting in June that I could only do Wednesdays (I can do anything one day per week) but if he needed to hire someone and give them more hours that they could take my one day.

I am super-busy for the next two weeks because I overbooked myself helping people out who are traveling and need their shop open. I just finished Day One of eight in a row...in June I will go back to the schedule I had originally planned for, working three days a week and making more of my own jewelry (all of the sudden it is selling really well and I need to get back in the studio and produce)!

I am proud of myself that finally at age 60 I can speak up and decide how I want to spend my time without feeling guilty somehow!

Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post
    I'm not hacking it so well at the weed store - WAAAAAAY too much downtime + sitting= BORING! I remember now how much I HATED having to be a receptionist at a hair salon in a department store way back in the late '90's when I hurt myself being the store display person. There is only so much knitting (bad for my hands and wrists), drawing and looking at my phone incessantly for 8 hours that I can mentally take. I like my friend who started the shop, I like the guy I work with, and I like the pay but I cannot do it two days a week in a row. I told him today starting in June that I could only do Wednesdays (I can do anything one day per week) but if he needed to hire someone and give them more hours that they could take my one day.

I am super-busy for the next two weeks because I overbooked myself helping people out who are traveling and need their shop open. I just finished Day One of eight in a row...in June I will go back to the schedule I had originally planned for, working three days a week and making more of my own jewelry (all of the sudden it is selling really well and I need to get back in the studio and produce)!

I am proud of myself that finally at age 60 I can speak up and decide how I want to spend my time without feeling guilty somehow!
    cool! So you are doing shop sitting? I can see in the Santa Fe area there would be quite a bit of need for that for me reliable person.

Yeah, pretty much just shop-sitting...I'm much better when I could manage a gallery/do the displays/inventory/ordering/contacting artists like at my old job. There was always lots of stuff to do, and when I finished all that I could go back in my studio and work on my jewelry.

Thread Information