Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kaye, The Crazy Corgi Lady

Kaye, The Crazy Corgi Lady

So... I just put down a deposit on a Corgi. For a late summer/ early fall puppy. I have had Corgis for 18 and a half years. We said Goodbye to Zio in mid-October. He was the last of my Corgi Crew.

I looked at " Used Corgis". Unfortunately, there is nothing but liability issues there. I know that Corgis (and Corgi crosses) have become very popular. And they have been bought by people who have no clue that they are buying a herding dog, or as a matter of fact a dog. There are people who, they feel the need to have a pet, they should buy Sea Monkeys
    My new puppies parents are tested for genetic issues. Buying from a reputable breeder costs more upfront, but saves you money in the end.
    I don't care about the sex (will be fixed anyway) and color is not an issue, temperament/ lack of genetic diseases is my number one goal.

However, I am shocked about the price : We paid 150 for Zio ( with AKC papers) in 2003.
    Holly ( with AKC papers) was 500 + 100 for air plane flight from LAX to PDX in 2007
    Snickers was 350 ( with AKC papers) in 2009
    My new one is going to be over 2K

Boss Mare, that is expensive, but hopefully well worth it over the long run for a healthy best friend and companion.

If you want a puppy, you have to pay the bucks. Enjoy your Corgi!

Me, I don’t do puppies, too much work.

I have had tens of bulldogs through my house, including several AKC champions, and make contributions to Bulldog Rescue of a few hundred dollars each. Although I did get 6 French bulldogs in one day, two of them champions, free.

Yay! New Corgo! A friend in the UK tells me Corgi puppies go for GBP 4K.

I think you went the the best route. Enjoy and you must provide photos!

Wow! Definitely something to look forward to!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Congrats on the new puppy! It’s fun to get a puppy once in awhile. I bought 2 before I got into dog rescue. My last puppy I was going to buy but the breeder gave him to me because it was uncertain if he would have genetic issues that would give him a shorter lifespan. So far so good and he’s 5. Amy was a champion show dog and I got her for free at 5.

Trixie died at 3 from a genetic condition which is when the breeder fixed every dog in her line as trixie was the third one to die young. As far as behavior the worst behavior I have ever had came from a puppy bred to show in a winning line and she couldn’t be bred without the owners picking the male if you wanted papers. We called her bipolar Cassie. Amy is a retired show dog that is very well behaved. I think just like people personality is a crap shoot.

The easiest dogs I’ve had are retired show dogs. They know how to behave, you can take them places and they know how to behave. Unless they are French, and then all bets are off about behavior.

If I were up to it, I'd be tempted to buy a Selkirk Rex cat, probably my favorite. But I'd then have to get a shelter cat or two to assuage my guilt.

I've grown to appreciate Corgis over the years.

I am hearing reports of $3000 for a quality pup which shocked me; add in a 3-year wait for a quality breed dog with papers. Covid really increased the demand for pups. Vets are overwhelmed with so many new clients.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    If I were up to it, I'd be tempted to buy a Selkirk Rex cat, probably my favorite. But I'd then have to get a shelter cat or two to assuage my guilt.

I've grown to appreciate Corgis over the years.
    that is sorta my plan. I want a fat faced chonky purebred cat, probably a
    British Shorthair. But I will also go to the shelter and get a street cat.

Both cats must be 10+ years old.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 4-24-22 at 7:32am.

Thread Information