Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Found this SHOCKING

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Jeez. Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I always wonder why anyone feels the need to advertise their beliefs on signs and bumper stickers. What does it accomplish? Seems pretty low class to me and certainly isn't contributing to our rapidly disappearing civility towards each other.
    I proudly wore my “Reagan/Bush” t-shirt during the 2016 Presidential election cycle.

I'd suppose such flags are a good advance warning signal saying to avoid the person living there.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    There was a time when craftsmanship counted for something when you set out to insult someone.

Yes, but resorting to profanity is an obvious indication that the individual(s) are incapable of any kind of craftsmanship whatsoever.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Yes, but resorting to profanity is an obvious indication that the individual(s) are incapable of any kind of craftsmanship whatsoever.
    Yes, agreed, the .Hollywood crowd has proven themselves incapable of nuance or depth.

Although I will say that if they had some of their good writers, or Ricky Gervais, provide their material they might be better at it.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Yes, agreed, the .Hollywood crowd has proven themselves incapable of nuance or depth.

Although I will say that if they had some of their good writers, or Ricky Gervais, provide their material they might be better at it.
    That’s true. Our culture is so immersed in crudity that I can’t see clutching my pearls over it. What I do deplore is the lack of finesse in it’s deployment.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I proudly wore my “Reagan/Bush” t-shirt during the 2016 Presidential election cycle.
    I was referring to the poster’s daughter who wouldn’t go out shopping on Sundays because she was so disturbed by the signs.

Jeez. Really?
    Yeah, they just get her blood pressure up. They're really obnoxious along with their flag-waving. She can shop another day and keep her inner peace. Not really pearl-clutching as much as choosing her peace.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I was referring to the poster’s daughter who wouldn’t go out shopping on Sundays because she was so disturbed by the signs.
    Oh I know!

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I think there's a First Amendment problem with restricting someone on their own property saying "F**K Biden"...
    Not all speech is protected by the First Amendment, but a political sign containing the word F**K is protected.

In July of 2021 in Roselle Park NJ, a municipal judge ordered a homeowner to take down 3 signs on her property which said "F**K Biden." The order imposed a fine of $250 per day for non-compliance. The New Jersey branch of the American Civil Liberties Union assisted the defendant in appealing the order in Superior Court. On 7/27/2021 the Superior Court vacated the municipal judge's order. I understand that the signs remained in place.

Local ordinances vary in the language used to define obscenity. An obscenity ordinance may include the qualification that the obscene speech "lacks serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value."

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    "I've tried to reduce profanity but I reduced so much profanity when writing the book that I'm afraid not much could come out. Perhaps we will have to consider it simply as a profane book and hope that the next book will be less profane or perhaps more sacred."

Thread Information