Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone start their own seedlings anymore?

Anyone start their own seedlings anymore?

I have about 12 tomato seedlings going and about 8 milkweed seedlings going. They now all have their "true" leaves on.

I don't usually have much luck with starting seeds. They get leggy. With the tomatoes I can just bury them deeper. The milkweed are a project with the grandson. I'm also going to direct spread some milkweed seeds this weekend. I think our snow is gone for good. It's actually supposed to be close to 80 next week.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I don't usually do seeds, but this year I've started a bunch of zinnias, sunflowers and sweet peas, and the seedlings all seem to be doing pretty well in DH's weed growing tent in the cellar. I have no idea where I will plant all these . . .

I started some April 8, cosmos, tall phlox, snapdragons, 2 kinds of zinnias...they sprouted in 2 days! So now are getting true leaves and leggy...we're going away for a week, so I had transplanted them into a window box and have 3 beer bottles filled with water put in upside down to do gravity watering...then I put them in the garage with dimmer light...we'll see. Last year the zinnia and nasturtiums did well. Cosmos, not so much. I won't plant them until about May 15 or so.

I've started some, but not sure how viable some are. Only two different varieties of tomato have sprouted. Waiting to see if the beans and peas start.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

From seed, growing on the sunporch, I have about 70 marigolds and 40 sunflowers. I plan to grow the marigolds outdoors... and to harvest sunflowers as microgreens to include in the next few salads, along with Lalique lettuce from my hydroponic setup.

Except for some tomatoes, I start everything from seed or cuttings. The past two years, I have collected seed from various places (including my yard) in the fall and now have around 200 seedlings going. Mostly natives and perennials (and a few trees) that are hard to find at nurseries and have to be stratified all winter. Veggie wise I have peas, arugula, spinach, bok choy, lettuce and chard going from seed. Only tomato I am doing from seed is the SunGold which does well here. Seed starting has become a passion for me.

Nope. I sometimes sow seeds directly into the garden, and this I year emptied some packets of larkspur and zinnia seeds. I do recognize those in my garden when they come up and so will do my best to avoid Rounduping them.

I am looking for annual poppy seedlings that should be popping up about now. They, also, are unique and so should be safe from the weed spray.

Dado: I envision your sunporch as a rather wonderful place!

rosarugosa:

I put electric radiant heat ("Warmly Yours") in the floor and installed tile flooring. A wall thermostat maintains the temperature in the floor. I set it for 72F and forget it. There is a ceiling fan which I sometimes switch on if it's colder than -15F outside. Year-round I think you would enjoy bare feet on that floor.

The windows face East, South, and West ... mainly S. I am a booklover, and I read facing East in my reclining chair. It is nice to think about something in a book, looking at the potted plants and the art, or gazing out the windows 4 seasons of the year.

Sometimes I would not read on the sunporch, because there is a Casio keyboard out there, being played by my dear wife or my grandson. (But if they are happy, I am happy.)

Ah, sounds like I was right!

Thread Information