Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: May frugals

May frugals

Plants. I am maniaclly digging up hostas, iris, daylilies, and lilium to separate and sell to various persons and thru various entities. All proceeds go to Park Conservancy or Federated Garden Clubs State organization.

I’m keeping track of sales for my own amusement and will have a total by mid June, but right now plants and pots sale look like $300+.

Since it is likely my flower garden will be bulldozed to build a new house, I am leaving only a few plants. I can’t take hostas with me to Hermann (damn deer!) but can offer them up for sale to neighborhood folks. I have some NICE hostas.

We are also taking shrubs to
    Hermann. We are ridiculous! Most Americans would sell their houses with shrubbery intact, but me, I want my 25 year old hydrangeas and 3 year old Nandina bushes! I plopped replacement plants at their base last year to fill in the holes.

so two days ago we brought all of the hydrangeas and Nandina shrubs to
    Hermann and dug holes for them in the rain, We were muddy head to toe, but I wanted them immediately in the ground so roots would not dry out.

We separated 4 hydrangea shrubs into 12 new ones. Not all will survive, but a majority will live, I think.

We have 2 more hydrangeas at home that DH likely will take to
    Hermann and divide, placing them along our lot,line. He feels compelled to line our lot with plants to define boundaries. I don’t think this is especially attractive, but with 1 acre he can do what he wants, there is plenty of room.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 5-1-22 at 11:37am.

Wow, aren't plants great? And the people that cultivate them! They're the gifts that just keep on giving!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Wow, aren't plants great? And the people that cultivate them! They're the gifts that just keep on giving!
    I dug up special peony bushes from the community garden to take to Hermann. Hey, I planted them there, so I can take them! But I left shoots of the plants and they can regenerate. In two years no one will know they were divided.

This reminds me, I have to brag about my protege’, John. John and I have never met. Well, I might have met him once in a crowd, not sure.

When I put out the call on Nextdoor 3 years ago to nearby neighborhoods to go dig iris and lilies on my city lot, John was one to respond. Since then he has been in regular email contact with me, asking questions about iris, mainly asking for cultivar IDs.

The guy really likes his iris. He even found the name of one I had as a NOID (No ID.) Brilliant! I save the really good stuff of iris extras for him.

I am always happy when my iris go into the ground. When people ask me “don’t you want $ for these iris plants?” I say “if you think about it, send me a photo of them in bloom in your garden. That makes me enormously happy!”

I admire all the efforts at gardening and am transplanting as well; how are you dealing with the Asian jumping worm issue in Missouri when transplanting?

It is so frustrating for garden societies running their fundraising plant sales. I am thinning my own plants or buying from a reputable grower. Any further advice appreciated.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I admire all the efforts at gardening and am transplanting as well; how are you dealing with the Asian jumping worm issue in Missouri when transplanting?

It is so frustrating for garden societies running their fundraising plant sales. I am thinning my own plants or buying from a reputable grower. Any further advice appreciated.

I have no idea what this jumping worm is.

More about donations:

The one remaining “collection” I have to get rid of before moving is the groups of Chinese pots. I could not interest decorators or local auction house in them. Attached is an image of just SOME of them, I have a half dozen not shown. All are BIG, see notebook for scale.

Anyway, it occured to me that I can offload some of these to ladies my age in the Federated Garden Club sales booth at our state convention. They have limited appeal, not being of interest to Gen x or Gen y folks, but boomer ladies might like them if priced cheap.

The key here is: CHEAP.

EFDAFD1D-1C74-4685-8A70-24362314BF1B.jpg

Also part of my frugal plant effort:

I asked on our neighborhood’s Facebook page for black plastic pots, and got a ton of them.

I am filling them with Free compost from the City of St. louis, then mixing that with some soil from my yard for plants I am selling. This planting medium is not nearly as good as potting soil, but I am not going to go out and buy potting soil for these plants. They need to be put in the ground soon anyway.

Wow, IL, you have been crazy busy! I only wish I lived closer only so I could buy plants from you - especially the hostas! My yard and flowerbeds are a right mess...

Thread Information