Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: May frugals

Yppej
    Where are you now pinkytoe?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Second half of property taxes due - a whopping $550. Back in TX, half a payment would have been well over $5000 so the payment here always feels like a bargain.
    Wait… Your total annual real estate tax is $1100? That’s about what our real estate taxes were in Hermann on our a little old unimproved house.

I’m waiting to see what the new assessment will be since we did major renovation to it.

I am guessing Colorado has cheap property taxes like Nevada. The house we sold for 400k last year had taxes of 770/year. My condo is worth 260 and my taxes are 400/year.

I am in Colorado. Property taxes are very cheap but there is a state income tax of 4% and change. So many deductions though that we never owe any income tax. We are actually getting a property tax refund of $500 each this summer as the gov thinks we pay too much. I really like our gov. He is a Democrat but more Libertarian in principle.

Went to an industry conference over Memorial day weekend and one of the informal things at the conference is a freebie table. Usually it's full of flyers and business cards, pretty much standard. People use the freebie table to clear out their homes, since most people live within driving distance this is considered normal practice. On a whim I decided to walk past the freebie table and saw a brand new, unopened, toy horse with accessories. Middle niece is obsessed with horses so it will be her birthday gift in a few months. I waited a few minutes before walking away with it, thinking that someone may have put it down for a moment then became distracted. I score major aunt points and it cost me $0.

Teachers are starting to clean things out of their classrooms, as there are only 2-3 weeks left of school. Last night scored two - 1000 piece jigsaw puzzles being thrown out! Don't know if all the pieces are there, but the puzzles look interesting enough to put together and find out.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    Pinkytoe that is amazing. What do you have for services in your area - city water? City sewer? Municipal waste pickup?

Are you incorporated or just part of a county?

I kind of had an itch to upgrade my phone (it will be 3 years old in July). The one I have is fine - kind of slow and the battery is starting to run out quickly. I'd like to have one of those big phones - easier to use? At any rate, I found one that wouldn't be too expensive. Hemmed and hawed. Decided to follow, "when in doubt - don't" and didn't sign up for a new one. I'll use this one until I can't anymore and trust that at that point, the one I'll really want will be waiting for me.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Jep, we live near downtown so have city services - electric, water, gas. Stupidly, trash service is private - $25 a month. One has to pay people to have large items or brush taken away - or take it yourself. We have had to to saw up very large items bit by bit so they would fit in the trash can. Learned that from our neighbor who sawed up an old sofa and discarded pieces over several weeks. The dump fee is quite high.

Yppej
    Overall sounds good. Thanks.

Thread Information