Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: May frugals

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I am going to look for the movie!

IL, I am incredibly impressed by your efforts right now, and brilliant to use the free St. Louis compost as your potting medium! Very intrigued by you dividing the hydrangeas. I love hydrangeas but never grow them. We had a beautiful one in South Carolina, and I didn't realize they could grow up north. Duh.
    There was a myth decades ago that colored hydrangeas didn’t grow up north, only the white ones lived in upper Midwestern zones. I thought I had to move to a milder climate from Iowa to get pink and blue hydrangeas. But they do just fine in St. Louis. My old reliables have been around for 25 years, gifts from my parents.

Here’s a photo of all the things I’m hauling to the state garden club convention. I think this will generate $342 in sales. I’m pricing things very reasonably so that they MOVE. The garden club ladies like to spend money at these things so I expect to see all of them gone. But anyway it’s not my problem I’m leaving the convention Wednesday morning and if there’s any leftovers the people in charge of sales will have to figure out what to do with them.

29A9F189-962F-4FD3-B1AC-1D5D2B33780E.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Waiting to hear back from my husband's Medicare Advantage program to see if the dr approves a substitute for one of his meds. We're currently paying $140 every 3 months; the new one would have a zero co-pay.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    Waiting to hear back from my husband's Medicare Advantage program to see if the dr approves a substitute for one of his meds. We're currently paying $140 every 3 months; the new one would have a zero co-pay.
    Hope that works out for you beckyliz! One interesting thing I recently learned is that if you ask Costco Pharmacy if they have any coupons or if paying cash is cheaper.... you may luck out. They do not volunteer the info but will check if you ask. YLMV

The gasket on the center spray arm of our dishwasher totally disintegrated. Small part, easy to replace - but no. You can't buy a gasket, at least not one for this dishwasher (a lower priced model). Nor does the manufacturer sell just the arm for it. The ONLY way to get the factory part is to buy the ENTIRE TOP RACK and rollers. For about $150. Contacted some parts places to see if another listed arm would fit our model, as it looked to be the same as what we had, and was told no. DH was annoyed and poked around on some DIY forums. Found a post that said that the arm we had enquired about would fit, in place of ordering the entire rack (yay to DH!). So I ordered one on Amazon (due to their really easy return policy, just in case..) and it fits perfectly - it's exactly the same as the one that came on the dishwasher - same size, same inventory numbers, etc. So it's back in operation for $35, instead of $150. But I'm still ticked that we couldn't just buy a gasket, and that the manufacturer offers this part but says it does NOT fit our model. *sheesh*

I left the convention early, but I was right in assessing the audience for my Chinese pots. These boomer ladies liked them. Of course I marked them down to practically nothing. All 4 were gone within two hours. Most of the iris plants were sold very quickly. I was surprised to see nearly all of the lily plants still there that after a day or so, so I told the person in charge to Mark them way down.

I was a little concerned that she actually owns a greenhouse and asked me
    “what are these “about the lilies. Hmmmm. But her location does not support lilies because that whole area is infested with deer.

Yppej
    Well I posted in part to hold myself accountable, but landed up going to the salon. Got a trim not a cut for a little savings. With gas up and my food reserves dwindling I could see I would not hit my budget goal for the month anyways. This will be the first of up to four times per year I let myself go over due to irregular expenses.

Trying to maximize fuel efficiency, among other things not turning the car lights on out of habit but only when I really need them, which with longer days is less often. By law they must be on if my wipers are on, and sometimes I hit fog, but rarely drive in the dark this time of year, even when going to city meetings as part of my community activism.

Came across a "find" at the Dollar Store (or 1.25 store) today. They had four packs of 10 regular canning jar lids (no rings) - I bought 3 of them! Every other place I have seen them had them priced at somewhere over $3 for a dozen. I can finally start replacing some!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    When my primer is used up I am going to try going without.

My makeup consists of primer, foundation and mascara, and on the weekends nothing. If you count nail polish there is also that.

Yppej
    Eating free food at work - not the snacks but healthier leftovers from a professional meeting.

Trying to use mints from my yard in lieu of gum to freshen my breath. I don't care for spearmint, but haven't seen any peppermint come up yet.

Yppej
    Left a note for DS that he likely will not respond to. Barring any objection from him I will turn the heat off for the season tonight.

Thread Information