Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fk this crap

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Reno’s crime has also skyrocketed. You see people posting on Nextdoor about it all the time. I am happy to be in a secure building. Most cars are only in a car port. I have one of the 6 spaces in the back underneath the building so most thieves wouldn’t know about it. Plus you get trapped back there and can’t easily run away.
    speaking of being trapped in dark semi public places, I took Metrolink train home from the Airport because I hate hsving to coordinate DH picking me up whenever the baggae is delivered off the plane, and besides, I theoretically support this mode of public transportation.

but the approach to MetroLink from the Southwest airlines terminal in St. Louis is up three flights, half a block away, of stairs in a secluded area that had it been dark, I would’ve been a little nervous. The fact that the credit card machine didn’t work, the Metrolink website lies about the fare, the elevator didn’t work, and they no longer have any signs on either side of the track to tell you which direction the trains are going made this experience nearly untenable.

I have Experienced this urban crap for too many decades and I’m officially tired of it.

In our downtown historic neighborhood people think crime is up. But in the 70/80s, houses were regularly burned down and drug crime and prostitution were obvious and no one cared. The area just north of our downtown was called Dodge City. We took the bus thru it every day to get to work and were glad to make it thru each day.

It is different crime now much more property oriented. Violent crime has mostly moved with the population that was moved out by gentrification of the city center.

On Next Door, they complain about a mentally ill person stealing a door mat not someone getting robbed at gunpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    In our downtown historic neighborhood people think crime is up. But in the 70/80s, houses were regularly burned down and drug crime and prostitution were obvious and no one cared. The area just north of our downtown was called Dodge City. We took the bus thru it every day to get to work and were glad to make it thru each day.

It is different crime now much more property oriented. Violent crime has mostly moved with the population that was moved out by gentrification of the city center.

On Next Door, they complain about a mentally ill person stealing a door mat not someone getting robbed at gunpoint.
    I wouldn’t say that crime has increased here. I am just tired of all of it.

There are the occasional armed robberies taking place here, but most crimes reported on Nextdoor are porch pirating, car clouting, thefts of golf carts and cars.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    speaking of being trapped in dark semi public places, I took Metrolink train home from the Airport because I hate hsving to coordinate DH picking me up whenever the baggae is delivered off the plane, and besides, I theoretically support this mode of public transportation.

but the approach to MetroLink from the Southwest airlines terminal in St. Louis is up three flights, half a block away, of stairs in a secluded area that had it been dark, I would’ve been a little nervous. The fact that the credit card machine didn’t work, the Metrolink website lies about the fare, the elevator didn’t work, and they no longer have any signs on either side of the track to tell you which direction the trains are going made this experience nearly untenable.

I have Experienced this urban crap for too many decades and I’m officially tired of it.
    Wow. That's a shame because airport-to-city trains are so great and economical in many situations.

DH and I were talking about the NYC subways after that last shooting event in Brooklyn. We were saying how we probably wouldn't take a subway again. They are dark, dismal, smelly bellies of the beast. But I would take the subway in many other cities: DC's Metro is beautiful for instance. Why are New Yorkers OK with their subways?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Why are New Yorkers OK with their subways?
    Because you literally can get anywhere in the city for less time and money than any other method except bike. The subway has never been particularly safe. Or at least never felt particularly safe. (I have no idea what that actual statistics are regarding crime in the subway). I can remember when I moved to NY in 1990 being given advice like ‘don’t get on a subway car that is empty’ and ‘ride in the conductor’s car’ and for women ‘turn your rings around’.

I have been on dairy farms in August that smelled better than the NYC subway system. But unless you’ve got a fortune to spend, it’s probably the only practical way to get around. Why people would choose to like like that is another question.

When I feel like riding the subway, I go to London.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    When I feel like riding the subway, I go to London.
    Yes, I've had nothing but good experiences on subway systems in London, Paris and Munich. I'd like to think the New York system is an outlier
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I love the London Underground. In fact I just pulled out my touristy Underground pattern tea towel from the year 1970 and I’m now using it as a tea towel Because I only live once.!
    Looking back, I am amazed my parents let me run around London taking the tube when I was 15 ir 16. We were tourists, it’s not like we lived there.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Looking back, I am amazed my parents let me run around London taking the tube when I was 15 ir 16. We were tourists, it’s not like we lived there.
    They probably knew you were safe enough as long as you remembered to "mind the gap".
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information