Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Roe v Wade

I know! The whole world of reproductive ethics is so much bigger than the narrow issue all abortion arguments cover.
    but those issues affect a lot less people than potential pregnancy does. And it likely seems really extreme to most people, even if they have some ambiguity about abortion of an actually developing pregnancy somewhere along the line, to say just a fertilized egg itself needs saving. And anyway miscarriage happens regardless. I mean I guess a few Catholics might have their issue, but why subject everyone who does not subscribe to Catholicism to whatever beliefs are unique to Catholicism. Talk about minority rule.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    why subject everyone who does not subscribe to Catholicism to whatever beliefs are unique to Catholicism. .
    I'm not Catholic, but oddly enough Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi are. WTF?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    If I remember my Catechism correctly, even aiding in procuring an abortion incurs a latae sententiae excommunication.

Rape by owner, failed abortion attempt (at least one, think a couple), then taken in by Nun's in a program to set up unwed mothers with spouse. So can't stop the pregnancy, but more then fine to horsewhip the evil out of them, and continue berating that line of the family, comparing them to the rapist.
    Yeah because people are so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I can call myself a golfer. But that doesn’t mean I’m not terrible at it.

You can look at being Catholic as being part of a religious community with a particular body of doctrine, or as a sort of superficial cultural or ethnic identity you can brandish when it’s politically convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    but those issues affect a lot less people than potential pregnancy does. And it likely seems really extreme to most people, even if they have some ambiguity about abortion of an actually developing pregnancy somewhere along the line, to say just a fertilized egg itself needs saving. And anyway miscarriage happens regardless. I mean I guess a few Catholics might have their issue, but why subject everyone who does not subscribe to Catholicism to whatever beliefs are unique to Catholicism. Talk about minority rule.
    Well no I don’t think everyone should be subjected to what the Catholics think, I’m just saying that I bet the Catholic theologians have position papers on these nuances that the lawmakers will HAVE TO face into.

I don’t have faith that my state legislators can write a law that covers all issues that will come up. Before Row versus Wade, science was far far less developed, and there was not so many made-by
    -science possibilities of human reproduction.

For instance, one example of hundreds, something that was featured in a Netflix program: A married couple really wanted children and went the IVF route. They ended up with twins. The twins had some sort of medical problem, maybe it was lack of nutrients, and it was determined that one twin would have to be sacrificed in utero or else both would die.

I find it hard to believe that any abortion law is going to take that situation into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I find it hard to believe that any abortion law is going to take that situation into consideration.
    I was trained to deliver babies in the field in some particularly-hellish trauma situations. And have done so a few times in not-terrible situations. I'm not sure the legislators will craft things that won't make first responders criminals in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

For instance, one example of hundreds, something that was featured in a Netflix program: A married couple really wanted children and went the IVF route. They ended up with twins. The twins had some sort of medical problem, maybe it was lack of nutrients, and it was determined that one twin would have to be sacrificed in utero or else both would die.

Considering that the "medical experts" in at least a few state legislatures don't seem to even understand about the absolute non-viability of ectopic pregnancies I think you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Considering that the "medical experts" in at least a few state legislatures don't seem to even understand about the absolute non-viability of ectopic pregnancies I think you're probably right.
    I doubt most of the old fossils involved in making these outrageous laws could find a vulva on a map, let alone understand basic reproduction.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I doubt most of the old fossils involved in making these outrageous laws could find a vulva on a map, let alone understand basic reproduction.
    I don't know, Rep. Cawthorn says he's constantly being invited to orgies...

Thread Information