Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Roe v Wade

Yppej

Roe v Wade

Rumors are it is overturned, the logical end to not your body, your choice, you will lose your job if not vaxxed and must wear a mask.

I understand the constitutional argument and I’m always happy when the constitution is upheld, even when it hurts.

I’m not at all happy that abortion will be severely restricted in so many places in the United States.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg did not like Roe versus Wade and the subsequent Casy ruling because it was constitutionally illogical and unsupported.

So, the red states get what their constituents want and the blue states can continue as always? The news I heard was no exceptions for rape or incest.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    So, the red states get what their constituents want and the blue states can continue as always? The news I heard was no exceptions for rape or incest.
    Theoretically, I never understand those exclusions anyway. I say this as probably the most liberal person here on this forum on the issue of abortion. If one is defending the rights of the unborn one is defending the rights of the unborn regardless of the unborns’ circumstances in coming into being.

Remember that what you “heard” is the Supreme Court basically saying “not our issue, Not our issue to determine. This decision belongs to the states.” That includes any exclusion, limitation, freedom, etc.

I always thought the arguments in favor of Roe we’re, in Charlie Cooke’s words. “a box of clouds”. If it’s that important a “right”, it should be voted on as a law, not constructed out of water vapor.

I see the House and Senate leadership are already putting out perfervid statements about “unaccountable judges ripping up the Constitution”. If this is a hoax, it’s a very effective one. If it’s a leak, it may indicate some SCOTUS underling is trying to give the pro abortion forces an extra couple of months to work the issue and rally the base.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I always thought the arguments in favor of Roe we’re, in Charlie Cooke’s words. “a box of clouds”. If it’s that important a “right”, it should be voted on as a law, not constructed out of water vapor.

I see the House and Senate leadership are already putting out perfervid statements about “unaccountable judges ripping up the Constitution”. If this is a hoax, it’s a very effective one. If it’s a leak, it may indicate some SCOTUS underling is trying to give the pro abortion forces an extra couple of months to work the issue and rally the base.
    ok but, Can Congress legislat this? If they legislate it why wouldn’t it circle straight back to the Supreme Court?
    Either it is a states’ right issue or it isn’t.

No one is pro-abortion per se, and the base is already on high alert.

I'm with Iris Lily in having an unshakeable belief that women should control their own reproductive matters. But if it is determined that there is no right to privacy guaranteed by the Constitution, the floodgates are open to overturning Griswold, Loving, Obergefell, and frankly, a lot of other issues--which should grease the skids on our steep slope to a quasi-theocratic authoritarian state.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    ok but, Can Congress legislat this? If they legislate it why wouldn’t it circle straight back to the Supreme Court?
    Either it is a states’ right or it isn’t.
    They could always initiate the process to amend the Constitution. Personally, I’m more comfortable leaving it with the States.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    No one is pro-abortion per se, and the base is already on high alert.

I'm with Iris Lily in having an unshakeable belief that women should control their own reproductive matters. But if it is determined that there is no right to privacy guaranteed by the Constitution, the floodgates are open to overturning Griswold, Loving, Obergefell, and frankly, a lot of other issues--which should grease the skids on our steep slope to a quasi-theocratic authoritarian state.
    The constitutional scholars of Reddit are not in agreement that this thing goes any further than abortion. But we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Theoretically, I never understand those exclusions anyway. I say this as probably the most liberal person here on this forum on the issue of abortion. If one is defending the rights of the unborn one is defending the rights of the unborn regardless of the unborns’ circumstances in coming into being.

Remember that what you “heard” is the Supreme Court basically saying “not our issue, Not our issue to determine. This decision belongs to the states.” That includes any exclusion, limitation, freedom, etc.
    I assume also that generally this will open the door to an absolute ban regardless of time from conception, which of course could also be up to the red states. And also any issues around the mother's life being in danger. I suppose our state, being a blue island in a sea of red will see an increase in visitors?

Thread Information