Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Roe v Wade

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am countering Jane’s idea that there is “private “instruction. Of course there isn’t. Perhaps that’s not really what she meant. Are you saying there is? How does that take place? Or you could give some specific examples.
    Actually, I was thinking in general, so including parents. I rather doubt sadomasochism comes up in early education much, but I suppose it might serve as a teaching moment. I had a devil of a time trying to spell it.

Well the foster system and how and if it should be reformed really has almost nothing at all to do with the topic of Roe v Wade. Also very few have any experience with the foster system. I do happen to have read info about foster kids and homelessness, so sad. Does everyone have experience with abortion? Well no, can't say I do, but with being terrified of pregnancy yea, single motherhood doesn't sound fun.
    Trees don't grow on money

I see that Chuck Schumer is going to force a show vote today in the Senate for a bill legalizing unrestricted abortion up to the very moment of birth, no restrictions. I think the Democrats are mis-reading their constituents by a wide margin.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I see that Chuck Schumer is going to force a show vote today in the Senate for a bill legalizing unrestricted abortion up to the very moment of birth, no restrictions.
    Odd, that's not what the text appears to say. It seems to protect abortion "at any point or points in time prior to fetal viability", and allows it "after fetal viability when, in the good-faith medical judgment of the treating health care provider, continuation of the pregnancy would pose a risk to the pregnant patient’s life or health".

Some states provide care after a child is 18 such as Wisconsin and Kansas when I lived there. They had caseworkers to help with getting a apartment, job or schooling, etc. Nevada of course has nothing which is one reason our taxes are so low. Back in the early 90’s Wisconsin had a fast track to sever parents rights if they couldn’t get things together within a year.

I have seen foster kids so damaged by 18 months that I wouldn’t want them. I had a 5 year old that I had to put in the front seat of my car because he started a fire in another worker’s car. He was horrifically abused by his mom and asked me to run her over when she stepped in front of my car. I would have been afraid to sleep in the same house as that kid.

I had 3 kids born to a woman with a IQ below 70 that didn’t realize she was starving the first two. We got the third into foster care before he was starved. The older 2 were born normal but had low IQ’s from lack of food. The dad was in prison. On top of that they were disgusting little kids in every way. There’s worse things than abortion.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Odd, that's not what the text appears to say. It seems to protect abortion "at any point or points in time prior to fetal viability", and allows it "after fetal viability when, in the good-faith medical judgment of the treating health care provider, continuation of the pregnancy would pose a risk to the pregnant patient’s life or health".
    I think the issue under this proposed legislation there is no effort to balance the harm of a perhaps minor health issue for the mother as opposed to the absolute execution of a viable child.It also doesn't allow state legislatures the opportunity to pass legislation requiring that balance.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I think the issue under this proposed legislation there is no effort to balance the harm of a perhaps minor health issue for the mother as opposed to the absolute execution of a viable child. It also doesn't allow state legislatures the opportunity to pass legislation requiring that balance.
    The bill under debate proposes a *more stringent* standard than my state currently has. Yet we have very few "late-term" abortions here. (And you claimed, and I quote: "a bill legalizing unrestricted abortion up to the very moment of birth, no restrictions.", which is incorrect.)

I think your argument is a red herring. (And I'm not sure how any legislature could quantify the risk and produce usable objective regulations. Perhaps some sort of Hearings Board that reviews each case on its own merits...? I mean, they do such things when evaluating who gets organ transplants.)

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    The bill under debate proposes a *more stringent* standard than my state currently has. Yet we have very few "late-term" abortions here. (And you claimed, and I quote: "a bill legalizing unrestricted abortion up to the very moment of birth, no restrictions.", which is incorrect.)
    Yep, my bad. I should have said "without easily bypassed restrictions."

Yep, my bad. I should have said "without easily bypassed restrictions."
    "Easily-bypassed" restrictions which are more stringent than my own state currently has. Where we don't seem to have many "late-term" abortions. Hmmm.

I guess the theory is that health care providers will act in an unethical fashion?

Thread Information