Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Roe v Wade

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Roe v Wade

Rumors are it is overturned, the logical end to not your body, your choice, you will lose your job if not vaxxed and must wear a mask.

I understand the constitutional argument and I’m always happy when the constitution is upheld, even when it hurts.

I’m not at all happy that abortion will be severely restricted in so many places in the United States.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg did not like Roe versus Wade and the subsequent Casy ruling because it was constitutionally illogical and unsupported.

So, the red states get what their constituents want and the blue states can continue as always? The news I heard was no exceptions for rape or incest.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    So, the red states get what their constituents want and the blue states can continue as always? The news I heard was no exceptions for rape or incest.
    Theoretically, I never understand those exclusions anyway. I say this as probably the most liberal person here on this forum on the issue of abortion. If one is defending the rights of the unborn one is defending the rights of the unborn regardless of the unborns’ circumstances in coming into being.

Remember that what you “heard” is the Supreme Court basically saying “not our issue, Not our issue to determine. This decision belongs to the states.” That includes any exclusion, limitation, freedom, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Theoretically, I never understand those exclusions anyway. I say this as probably the most liberal person here on this forum on the issue of abortion. If one is defending the rights of the unborn one is defending the rights of the unborn regardless of the unborns’ circumstances in coming into being.

Remember that what you “heard” is the Supreme Court basically saying “not our issue, Not our issue to determine. This decision belongs to the states.” That includes any exclusion, limitation, freedom, etc.
    I assume also that generally this will open the door to an absolute ban regardless of time from conception, which of course could also be up to the red states. And also any issues around the mother's life being in danger. I suppose our state, being a blue island in a sea of red will see an increase in visitors?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I assume also that generally this will open the door to an absolute ban regardless of time from conception, which of course could also be up to the red states. And also any issues around the mother's life being in danger. I suppose our state, being a blue island in a sea of red will see an increase in visitors?
    If laws arenít passed making it illegal to travel for the procedure, or to aid someone else in travelingÖ.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    If laws arenít passed making it illegal to travel for the procedure, or to aid someone else in travelingÖ.
    That is pretty clearly unconstitutional, outlawing someone to go to another place to do something that is perfectly legal.

Iím not too worried about that one holding up.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    If laws aren’t passed making it illegal to travel for the procedure, or to aid someone else in traveling….
    My brief bit of research says that about half of abortions are done by medication rather than surgery. No doubt some similar rules could apply or be challenged but it seems like a whole nother legal quagmire. I suppose Mexico could still be an option.

I think there are so many issues about human reproduction in relation to abortion and adoption and parental rights that we could have some very interesting discussions here.
    Too bad we fall into the familiar old grooves of bludgeoning these points “dead babies!” “Controlling women!” And etc . This group is unable to move all those dimes.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I think there are so many issues about human reproduction in relation to abortion and adoption and parental rights that we could have some very interesting discussions here.
    Too bad we fall into the familiar old grooves of bludgeoning these points “dead babies!” “Controlling women!” And etc . This group is unable to move all those dimes.
    Experiences and discussion beyond "dead babies", "controlling women", etc are being discussed, but - face it - these and other points ARE issues which ARE part of human reproduction, abortion, adoption, parental rights, etc.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information