Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Roe v Wade

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Would we call your special analytical viewpoint Critical Rob Theory?
    Not at all. Just fearbased reality for a good 40 to 50 percent of Americans. It's often odd, just incredibly odd, to not be in this situation. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop - it's almost like going above my station in life.

But then I'm not stopping at that station these days. I'm not complaining, mind you, it just can be very disconcerting at times. To have the financial ability to contemplate the morals and ethics of something like abortion - does my passport have a maple leaf on it? Sometimes am floored by the basic human rights halfway decent income buys you - but I also understand that to Austrians, such is a birthright - but to be fair the nearby war is impacting this.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    This is such a difficult topic for me, in a way I'm thinking not all here will understand. So much of my life has been about surviving the extreme inequality and toxicity of this citizenship.

But I'm doing much better these days...I'm not in that place now. What does that mean? Realistically?

I have the rare right and ability to think of a heated issue such as this in moral and ethical terms - not in terms of surviving the US and it's bottom of the barrel metrics for the developed world. I find that it's not easy to contemplate heated issues when there is not a surviving the.US component involved - there almost always has been in the past. I also feel less confident in my takes if there is not a survival component involved.

At least this coming Wednesday I will be in Mexico again - familiar and comfortable turf.

Rob
    I don’t even know what this word salad means, I am quite sure that you don’t have any right or ability that is “rare.”

Your "bottom of the barrel metrics for the developed world" struck a chord with me. From affordable education to maternal mortality, we are failing badly to meet international standards.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Your "bottom of the barrel metrics for the developed world" struck a chord with me. From affordable education to maternal mortality, we are failing badly to meet international standards.
    And when you look at the maternal mortality rate, Are there specific demographic areas that push our rates up? I wonder if you have any idea how much advertising and social welfare support goes toward maternal health support for that demographic? Why does that demographic not take advantage of it? Could it be a cultural value?

Here is one analysis

Key Findings: The U.S. has the highest maternal mortality rate among developed countries. Obstetrician-gynecologists (ob-gyns) are overrepresented in its maternity care workforce relative to midwives, and there is an overall shortage of maternity care providers (both ob-gyns and midwives) relative to births. In most other countries, midwives outnumber ob-gyns by severalfold, and primary care plays a central role in the health system. Although a large share of its maternal deaths occur postbirth, the U.S. is the only country not to guarantee access to provider home visits or paid parental leave in the postpartum period.
    Conclusion: The U.S. has a relative undersupply of maternity care providers, especially midwives, and lacks comprehensive postpartum supports.

Source https://www.commonwealthfund.org/pub...d-10-countries

This provides more detail and statistics

https://www.commonwealthfund.org/pub...-states-primer
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

And when you look at the maternal mortality rate, Are there specific demographic areas that push our rates up? I wonder if you have any idea how much advertising and social welfare support goes toward maternal health support for that demographic? Why does that demographic not take advantage of it? Could it be a cultural value?
    no, no, no and no. California has maternal mortality rates equal to Europe. The lowest maternal mortality rate in the country. But demographics, well California is not majority white (so maybe the problem is white people), and not heavily black, large hispanic population. Likely doesn't differ much in demographics from Texas, but in maternal mortality it really does.

California has the lowest maternal mortality rate of 4.0 deaths per 100,000 births. From 2006 to 2013, California’s maternal mortality rate declined by 55%, from 16.9 to 7.3 and continued to decline thereafter. California is leading the way in efforts to reduce the number of maternal mortalities thanks to the formation of the California Maternal Quality Care Collaborative in 2006. This committee found that death from two well-known complications, hemorrhage and preeclampsia, can be prevented through recognition, teamwork, and a list of thoroughly-practiced treatments. Because of this type of preparation in hospitals, California doctors and nurses have been able to save hundreds of lives.
    sources:
    https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...-rate-by-state
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/healt...nia/index.html
    Trees don't grow on money

Did y'all see the Oklahoma bill that got signed into law today?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Did y'all see the Oklahoma bill that got signed into law today?
    Yup. Next they'll outlaw contraception.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

If I lived in Texas or Oklahoma right now, I would be making plans to leave.

Yppej
    We need a bodily autonomy state, where people aren't told to carry pregnancies to term, or get vaccines, or wear masks.

Thread Information