Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Roe v Wade

I don't believe you get clean outcomes no matter what. You can put more limits but then it is quite likely doctors will be unwilling to treat women who are at risk of severe complications etc..
    Trees don't grow on money

Pro-choice here with nothing else to add.

'
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    As a person who has Catholicism in her DNA (but not on the books), I understand the argument that all life is sacred. This is why I believe:

• All life is sacred, particularly life that is already here. The lives of the poor and disenfranchised, the lives of the cattle, birds and fish that we depend on for our lives, the trees and plants that sustain us, the microscopic life under the soil that supports everything else. I don't think human life is so special that we can consider our specie as the only "sacred" one.
    • No one wants an abortion. DH was saying "oh, pro-abortionists are going to have a protest"--I told him, "NO ONE is 'pro-abortion.' No one WANTS to have an abortion." I have been in that position and when it is your decision to make it tears you up. But it is YOUR decision. If we're going religious here, God gave us the gift of discernment. That means there is very little black or white in these complex issues, and it should be up to the woman, ultimately, to discern for herself what the outcome should be.
      [*]Politically speaking, it's interesting that Republicans are all about deregulation until it comes to the lives of women. I believe perceptions are greatly exaggerated by "pro-life" people--the numbers of late-term abortions, the attitudes of women, i.e.,"Hey, today I think I'll go have a manicure and an abortion," the very fuzzy line between what is a "baby" and what is a cluster of non-sentient cells.

I was just going to something to this effect too….

They're all about book banning--at least one knuckle-dragging Tennessee legislator is OK with book burning, even.

some of them might even be ok with witch burning, even
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    some of them might even be ok with witch burning, even
    Alito's Sir Matthew Hale certainly was. I know "what goes around comes around," but this is ridiculous.

DH often says when describing an idiot that the best part of that person got left on the sheets. It's all pretty random who comes to be and who doesn't anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    While I think there’s not many physicians who will perform a third trimester abortion, I don’t know that they are any more “subject to medical review” than any other abortion.

I watched a documentary on late term abortions a couple of years ago and it was reasonably evenhanded, and it showed that yes many late term abortions are due to identified health problems of the fetus, but some are not. At least one case the physician who performs late terms abortion told the woman from Europe “nope, I won’t do that.”
    That would seem to indicate that the physician was not willing to do an abortion on a viable fetus without a medical reason. It sounds like "should be between the woman and her doctor" worked to achieve what most of us would consider the "correct" outcome. No government involvement required.

What are the current rules/laws regarding forcing parents to do something like donate a kidney to a child that will die without that transplant? Or a life saving blood transfusion where the parent and kid have a rare blood-type and no other suitable blood donor can be found. Would that parent be forced to make the donation and, if not willing, charged with homocide if he/she said "nope. Not doing it."

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    That would seem to indicate that the physician was not willing to do an abortion on a viable fetus without a medical reason. It sounds like "should be between the woman and her doctor" worked to achieve what most of us would consider the "correct" outcome. No government involvement required.
    Yes that was my take on it, and from what I vaguely remember it was a healthy fetus and the woman was from France. There are doctors who would do it however, that guy in Pittsburgh would have done the deed for the right money.

Then, there are plenty of doctors who do perfectly awful things for the money. I think of all the cosmetics surgery horror shows paraded on Instagram.

Thread Information