Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Roe v Wade

Washington citizens having voted twice to uphold reproductive rights, we're good so far.

In November 1970, Washington held a referendum on legalizing early pregnancy abortions, becoming the first state to legalize abortion through a vote of the people.[25] When Washington made abortion legal by referendum, it was the first state in the country to do so. In 1991, a ballot box measure passed that made abortion legal up to the point where a fetus was viable. Wikipedia

Obviously this won't end abortion. It'll just end safe, legal abortion for a lot of poor women. Anyone with enough money who wants an abortion will simply take an abortion vacation to California or any other state that where they are still legal.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Washington citizens having voted twice to uphold reproductive rights, we're good so far.

In November 1970, Washington held a referendum on legalizing early pregnancy abortions, becoming the first state to legalize abortion through a vote of the people.[25] When Washington made abortion legal by referendum, it was the first state in the country to do so. In 1991, a ballot box measure passed that made abortion legal up to the point where a fetus was viable. Wikipedia
    I understand a number of states have “trigger laws” that will go into effect if and when Roe is overturned.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I assume also that generally this will open the door to an absolute ban regardless of time from conception, which of course could also be up to the red states. And also any issues around the mother's life being in danger. I suppose our state, being a blue island in a sea of red will see an increase in visitors?
    If laws aren’t passed making it illegal to travel for the procedure, or to aid someone else in traveling….

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    If laws aren’t passed making it illegal to travel for the procedure, or to aid someone else in traveling….
    That is pretty clearly unconstitutional, outlawing someone to go to another place to do something that is perfectly legal.

I’m not too worried about that one holding up.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    That is pretty clearly unconstitutional, outlawing someone to go to another place to do something that is perfectly legal.

It seems to be in the playbook for some states:

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...souri-00018539

Possibly it might be found unconstitutional if adopted, but that process takes time and money. Years, decades sometimes. So it's a convenient way to oppress people in the meantime, and you can always pass a slightly different bill the very next day and restart the clock.

Isn't government wonderful?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    It seems to be in the playbook for some states:

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...souri-00018539

Possibly it might be found unconstitutional if adopted, but that process takes time and money. Years, decades sometimes. So it's a convenient way to oppress people in the meantime, and you can always pass a slightly different bill the very next day and restart the clock.

Isn't government wonderful?
    I would think the feds would use the interstate commerce clause to attack something like that. They’ve done it before on thinner pretexts.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I would think the feds would use the interstate commerce clause to attack something like that. They’ve done it before on thinner pretexts.
    Once you bring out the ICC, no pretext is too thin, ever since Wickard v. Filburn.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

Don't be so sure. Unvaccinated Canadians are not allowed to travel internationally.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Don't be so sure. Unvaccinated Canadians are not allowed to travel internationally.
    Does Canada use the US Constitution and judicial system?

Thread Information