Thread: Cheap living situation in the silicon valley...

Cheap living situation in the silicon valley...

A new company is offering "pod" living in the bay area. For the low low price of $800/month you too can live in your very own "pod" with just 13 other housemates in a 3 bedroom house. It appears that the house includes a kitchen, and utilities (hopefully including decent internet) are also included. Neither the article, nor the web site for the company, mention how many bathrooms there are. I suppose for a young person, perhaps a student at Stanford or someone coming to the bay area to try and get their dream job in tech, this might be doable. And maybe even for a young person who already has their first tech job. If they are like I was at that age, they probably won't be spending much time at home anyway so spending significantly more to have more space might not make sense. And not having to buy any furniture, put down a deposit, or pay any utilities would be a bonus. At this point in my life, though, the idea of living for any length of time in what amounts to a youth hostel doesn't particularly appeal.

https://www.sfgate.com/local/article...h-17162659.php
    https://brownstone.live/palo_alto

When I first moved to Silicon Valley in the mid-80s, my classmates and I rented a 5 bedroom home in Atherton for the 10 of us, and used it as our launch-pad. We lived in it for about a year or so until we'd saved up enough capital and landed better jobs, and then we moved on.

We had intended to build a co-housing community in the Santa Cruz mountains, but the building codes were quite discriminatory at the time and we had to give up our dream of half-a-dozen small cabins, and a couple of larger shared community spaces.

I though we had a discussion on this, but it isn't in the housing thread. A local city passed an ordnance effectively eliminating this.

Part of the reason talked about those that bought the houses, would then go in and remodel and do things like make the dining room into two bedrooms, etc. and not do things with inspections/to code, etc.

What do you think of this innovative idea for cheap living? A cruise that never ends.

https://www.upworthy.com/couple-in-t...x0MwxeTOxX7HME
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    What do you think of this innovative idea for cheap living? A cruise that never ends.

https://www.upworthy.com/couple-in-t...x0MwxeTOxX7HME
    Seems reasonable to me. I recall reading a similar story years ago about an older lady that did this because she figured out it was cheaper than assisted living but she got about the same level of care and attention. The staff on her boat all knew her and thought she was adorable. For the couple of weeks a year the boat wasn't sailing and she had to get off she would go visit her children.

When my ex was working in Palo Alto people would build bedrooms with a outside door on the back of their house all the way through the backyard. That’s 10 years ago and the bedroom with bathroom rented for 800/month. Where he rented had 7 rooms with a apartment in the front for family and one built on the end of the other rooms for the grandparents. Talk about a cash cow.

all this sounds absolutely horrible to me. No privacy or complete quiet ever?

Thread Information