Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another house post

Yet another house post

It finally happened, one of my childhood homes came on the market. I haven’t seen the interior for 50 years.

It sold fast. When I alerted my brother about it today he said he would’ve considered buying it if he known sooner it was for sale. Well buddy, you have got to live on realtor.com.com like I do because otherwise you snooze and lose! Ha ha

I am absolutely blown away by how beautiful the interior is. This was an expensive house for the time with all of its diamond pane windows, its quarter sawn oak woodwork, its limestone foundation. Someone who built this thing had some money. The current owner has done a lovely job with it. The people she bought it from were crap Lords. They let it run down, they filled in the front porch which looks like hell, and I think they were the ones that sold off part of the 1 acre lot.

But you can see in this listing that the current owner loves the house, knows how to show it off, and just takes care of it beautifully. She’s been there for many years. I don’t know her, but a couple years ago I sent her a photograph of the exterior I had from the 1960s.

– I am SO pleased with the way this place looks! The house we moved to after this one is likely in a bad state. It’s also about ready to turn over owners. It’s the one I’ve shown here before of the exterior. The local historical society wants to buy it. My cousin is a member of that board and he’s on the negotiating team. They haven’t seen the interior yet. We are all fearful of damage from 40 years of neglect.

4790BE13-63DA-4DF7-9DCE-D2060B9FE6B6.jpg

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...9_M72424-58800

Wow!!! There's hope for humanity! A Craftsman that was actually spared a modern-day hatchet job. It is really beautiful. Now you have to pray the next owners don't tear down walls and paint all the woodwork white.

An adorable house! And what great curb appeal!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

That's a beautiful home! With the exception of the kitchen, they retain the classic feel and pay homage to the era. Love it!

Came back to ask - is the staircase close enough to a door for the bench to be a Mr. Rogers inspired shoe changing spot?

Quote Originally Posted by lmerullo View Post
    Came back to ask - is the staircase close enough to a door for the bench to be a Mr. Rogers inspired shoe changing spot?
    Yes. This bench actually had a top that opens where you store boots and shoes.

I haven’t thought about that in 50 years. It is a classic anteroom. My mother called it the “vestibule” So it is an entry room where you could hang coats and put on shoes. Funny it had no real closet, but the entire room was a nice entry point.

What a wonderful home, and they were practically giving it away!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    What a wonderful home, and they were practically giving it away!
    I don’t know, the price seems OK I guess. You have to understand this is a tiny town that has all but nothing going on. While it is the same size as my new hometown Hermann, it is a bedroom community and a farm community, so it has no commerce and well ,not much of anything. It is a 30 minute drive from Des Moines.

I’ve been thinking about my mother today because I know she would be happy to see this house so well cared for. I remember her making a funny comment about one of the regrets of her life, that instead of going camping with me and my dad, she would stay home and polish her beautiful diamond windows. But see I can relate to that that because I would like some beautiful diamond windows to polish !

I agree! What a charming house. And I also agree that the enclosed porch is a tragedy. If it were mine I would be strongly inclined to have it reverted back to the original open style. But wow! All that beautiful woodwork.

Really a beautiful house!!

Love the driveway. Don't really see driveways like that any more. Parking pad is good for service, but those allowed less heat to reflect on the houses.

Thread Information