Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I just bought one of the last iPod Touch-es

I think I just bought one of the last iPod Touch-es

I kid you not, I just ordered a new iPod Touch from the Apple store. I've had one for oh, five-ish years, which now I know I'm lucky as their battery life is only expected for 3 or so years. It will not hold a charge anymore.

Then, the. next. day. I read that Apple is discontinuing production of them because of the diverse functions of the iPhone. I guess the Touch is now considered redundant. But here's why I grieve and why I disagree:

I like that I have a separate device from my phone to listen to music and podcasts. I am not interrupted or distracted by messages or notifications or calls. It takes decent photos. Also, it is smaller than an iPhone. I don't even have an iPhone, although I do have an iTunes account.

I guess I could research when my new Touch dies whether anyone is making an MP3 player like the Touch, but I'm not hopeful.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

There are about a billion high-capacity cheap MP3 players available, so you should be able to find one.

My tablet is a 10" Kindle Fire. Not trendy, but it fills my needs.

I just load music/podcasts/audiobooks onto my Apple Watch now. And turn off notifications.

I would advise people who have older technology to "hoard" it for a decade or two. My DH, a retired TV/video producer, practically gave away 24 VHS players, and my picker SIL was not happy about that. Seems we could have gotten pretty good money for those outdated things. Kay--hold on to that iPod, and don't get rid of your old one.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yeah, but no, I am also a fitness "watch" Luddite. I have an early gen Garmin which only needs a new battery every 15 mo; tells me everything I need to know, no more and no less.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Jane. Kindle is too big for how I use this device. Hope you're right and cheapo producers don't regard their products as redundant.

I am on my 3rd Nano. I've also had a Shuffle. I have invested a lot of money on music through Apple. I listen to it every day and if I'm having trouble sleeping, I have a folder of music that helps me drift off. I have been dreading this all dying out because I do not want an I-phone. My husband has an old I-pad and we could transfer the music but that won't help me when I'm working out. I just want the little player in my pocket. We have not found a way to easily or satisfactorily transfer the music to a non Apple player. I'm already having separation anxiety.

I have some friends who have been happy using "obsolete" Android phones as simple media players. They are basically free.

I have a wonderful Sandisk MP3 around here somewhere, There are several similar models on Amazon.

ETA: Sandisk is a well-established brand.

I didn't know Ipods still existed.

I was tempted last year to see where my old Iriver MP3 player was and if I could upgrade the drive (don't think so as I think it is still and ATA drive).
    I went from that long ago to a tiny Sandisk clipjam mp3 player, that I used mostly when mowing. Due to work now, needing to be able to get in touch, I am planning on switching to the large SD card in my Android phone.

Thread Information