Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S'mores and other marketing gimmicks

S'mores and other marketing gimmicks

As I was walking into the grocery store ahead of a big holiday weekend I saw the usual displays with hot dog & hamburger buns, baked beans, catsup, mustard, paper plates, etc. all the weekend necessities. The center of attention was the Hersey Chocolate bars, Graham crackers and Marsh Mellows, all the fixings for s'mores. It conjures up emotional images of sitting around the camp fire, snuggled up next to the ones you love in oversized sweat shirts, the fire popping, as long dangly sticks weighted only with a marsh mellow bobs near the coals. Life is great. This is why we like camping...

As I walked by the display my stomach actually turned a bit. Do people actually like these overly sweet sticky sandwiches? Or is it just another one of those marketing ploys that tells us it is part of the "camping" experiences? I for one declare them gross. I like chocolate, I like graham crackers, but stick a burnt hunk of gooey grossly sweet marsh mellow into the picture and you have lost me. Am I out on a limb here? S'mores are the Currier and Ives of Camping. We are told it is the best part of the camp fire - but they are not. They are gross.
    Last edited by Greg44; 5-26-22 at 9:42am.

Well maybe people do like them but those people are like 8 years old (with the *extreme* sweet tooth that only a kid can have).
    Trees don't grow on money

I agree with you. S'mores hold no appeal for me--I'm a bit of a stickyphobe, but if someone brings them to one of our weekend firepits, they go over really big. And everyone that hangs out with us on the weekend is WELL over 8 years old.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I remember having them once, as a kid, but what is this campfire thing and how do you cook them over it (they came out of an oven, no burnt marshmallows).
    I was in my mid 20's, when a friend was surprised that Memorial day weekend, I had never been camping or to a lake. They were shocked when I told him, we always visited and decorated the graves, that weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I remember having them once, as a kid, but what is this campfire thing and how do you cook them over it (they came out of an oven, no burnt marshmallows).
    I was in my mid 20's, when a friend was surprised that Memorial day weekend, I had never been camping or to a lake. They were shocked when I told him, we always visited and decorated the graves, that weekend.
    My wife and I enjoy visiting the cemeteries on Memorial Day. We clean up her parent's headstones, place a vase of flowers from our yard, etc. Walk amongst the other graves looking for names we know. We then travel to the catholic cemetery where her grandparents are buried. It has massive fir tree and a best view of the city. It is an afternoon of showing appreciation of those who have gone before us, how grateful we are for this fragile life we have.

While not a fan, I will usually make and have ONE - just one! LOL
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I love s’mores!!

me too, TT! Over a fire, or in the toaster oven, lol. While I don't like most really sweet stuff, I can't resist a toasted marshmallow, in almost any shape or form. Heck, I like toasted Peeps! Although they look pretty gross

I have no issue with confections, but to my mind the best and highest use of a woodfire is the roasting of meat. I love the smell, the sizzle, the pop of juices hitting the hot coals. I love the taste of a slightly overcooked sausage with a bit of carbon on it accompanied by a frosty lager. Throw in some barbecue potato chips, and I’m happy to call it a party.

I just see smores season as a handy way to provide easy access to the Hershey's bars, which I grab for my husband in the car, as he has the fastest metabolism in the world and is always hungry.

Thread Information