Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: atheists going too far?

poetry_writer

atheists going too far?

This is politcal correctness gone mad. I say these atheists are cruel and insensitive to victims of 9/ll and utterly arrogant. Comments?

A group of New York City atheists is demanding that the city remove a street sign honoring seven firefighters killed in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks because they say the sign violates the separation of church and state.
    The street, “Seven in Heaven Way,” was officially dedicated last weekend in Brooklyn outside the firehouse where the firefighters once served. The ceremony was attended by dozens of firefighters, city leaders and widows of the fallen men.
    “There should be no signage or displays of religious nature in the public domain,” said Ken Bronstein, president of New York City Atheists. “It’s really insulting to us.”
    from Fox news

I say these atheists have too much time on their hands, jmho as a person who isn't religious in the traditional sense. I suppose now they'll have to root out all uses of the word "heaven" and banish them (hog heaven, seventh heaven, heavenly hash ice cream.....) But gosh, Fox News loves stories like this, don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by puglogic View Post
    But gosh, Fox News loves stories like this, don't they?
    I wonder why all the other news outlets don't?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Faux News does indeed love this garbage as does the American Public, it gives them something to talk about while they stuff Twinkies in their mouth and drink their diet Coke.

Just more atheist bashing!

I got a better idea - Let's get 'In God We Trust' off the money!

Peace

I guess every group has its lunatric fringe. I make no apologies for being an atheist, but nobody should have to apologize to me for being religious. I probably wouldn't dig the sign either, but I just wouldn't spend much time looking at it.

atheists going too far?
    Not all atheists are alike - just like not all Christians are far-right nutters.

Fox news? Consider the source.
    moo

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Not all atheists are alike - just like not all Christians are far-right nutters.
    Well poetry_writer did say "these atheists" so I think it's clear the OP is just talking about that group.

And yeah, I agree that that group has too much time on its hands. Pick your battles, geez (yeah, the whole "In God we Trust" thing, plus the "under God" in the pledge of alliegence would be better targets).

Now, I'm not a member of that group doing the protesting, nor would I be, but I think it's a pretty dumb name for a street and I could think of lots of better ways to honor those firefighters. But that's just my opinion, which isn't worth much.

Kara

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Fox news? Consider the source.
    If the information is accurate, why would the source be questionable?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

poetry_writer
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigzagman View Post
    Faux News does indeed love this garbage as does the American Public, it gives them something to talk about while they stuff Twinkies in their mouth and drink their diet Coke.

Just more atheist bashing!

I got a better idea - Let's get 'In God We Trust' off the money!

Peace
    Dont understand the Coke and Twinkies comment.

poetry_writer
    Quote Originally Posted by treehugger View Post
    Well poetry_writer did say "these atheists" so I think it's clear the OP is just talking about that group.

And yeah, I agree that that group has too much time on its hands. Pick your battles, geez (yeah, the whole "In God we Trust" thing, plus the "under God" in the pledge of alliegence would be better targets).

Now, I'm not a member of that group doing the protesting, nor would I be, but I think it's a pretty dumb name for a street and I could think of lots of better ways to honor those firefighters. But that's just my opinion, which isn't worth much.

Kara
    Evidently the firefighters didnt think it was dumb.

Thread Information