Thread: cluttercore

cluttercore

Ok I think this cluttercore looks horrible. I can accept one can be cluttered without being messy, but it all seems even more work to pull that off, and it still looks horrible to me.

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...d-tiktok-trend

However it did link to a related carnival core article, the pictures made me smile with an inward laugh, more than I expected some housing interiors to ever do. So I like it but I'm not sure about to live in, or that I could pull it off. And I don't put much money into decorating anyway, mostly thrifted. But it made me smile. The pics are not cluttered AT ALL, just kinda wild in the decoration.

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...e-design-trend
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Ok I think this cluttercore looks horrible. I can accept one can be cluttered without being messy, but it all seems even more work to pull that off, and it still looks horrible to me.

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...d-tiktok-trend

However it did link to a related carnival core article, the pictures made me smile with an inward laugh, more than I expected some housing interiors to ever do. So I like it but I'm not sure about to live in, or that I could pull it off. And I don't put much money into decorating anyway, mostly thrifted. But it made me smile. The pics are not cluttered AT ALL, just kinda wild in the decoration.

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...e-design-trend
    Just say no to “cluttercore.”

But “circuscore” I can get behind because I love fantasy decor!

But this photo from the article is not circuscore, I might call it “Excesscore” or
    certainly “ “Fantasycore,” and it is a copy of one of my all time favorite rooms, Diana Vreeland’s red womb room. I made a copy of it in my very first house in green floral. Oh how I love a tented ceiling!

One of the best decor stories for my neighborhood is from the gay man down the street who made a gold lame’ tented ceiling in his dining room, gathering the center with a cock ring.

from this article:

75F8A248-6D01-4DE6-8E80-1200F0F6B84E.jpg

Diana Vreeland’s room:

604EBB20-389C-4E55-A836-5D6A3BF9E623.jpg

I have to say that neither style really speaks to me, but cluttercore is the worst!

Me neither.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Nor I. The cluttercore looks more like a way to organize "collections" of stuff than actual miscellaneous clutter.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yuck. I hate that cluttercore!!! My mother collected figurines and covered every tabletop with them, and she had this cool room divider with little cubes and each cube had a figurine.

That was OK, but the photos in the article are horrible!!!! I couldn't live like that. I started "collecting" houseplants and even those are taking too much space.

As fore the carnivalcore, It's fun, but I also wouldn't live there either. Although that green room with the wallpaper was somewhat appealing.

As far as "c---core" goes, I do like cottagecore as long as it's not too kitschy: https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...is-cottagecore
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

It’s all awful!! Plus as I have come to realize the more stuff you have the more cleaning you need to do because otherwise everything is full of dust and really looks horrible. The older I get the less I like cleaning.

I thought "cluttercore" might be right up my alley, but my mess is way more organic than these examples. I'll never be a Scandi-minimalist, but I agree with those who opine that this is exhausting.
    Last edited by JaneV2.0; 5-18-22 at 1:19pm.

All of the spaces shown are really interesting! The carnival home is FUN. As the stuff in them is not mine, not collected/found/curated by or for me, I would not want to live in any of them! But there are elements in them all that I can really appreciate. Sort of "nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live there!". I am more of a decorator voyeur - I love looking at other peoples curated home settings. Personally, after lots of introspection, I have determined that at this point of my life I'm a more-is-more person. My own stuff ebbs and flows depending not on what is trending, but on what I see, love, and can afford. I buy plenty of stuff, knowing that I'm going to live with it only for a while, then will try to get someone else to pay me a lot more for it than I paid. So far, it's working pretty well! Thanks for the links, that was a fun visit to other people's stuff!!

Thread Information