I am taking pottery classes with DH and Sis at a very cool local pottery school/studio. It would be an understatement to say that I am not demonstrating any innate talent in this endeavor, but it is interesting and fun! We are enrolled in an 8-week session that meets once a week, but we have unlimited access for studio time to practice what we are learning, so we are trying to make it there twice a week. The pottery wheel is really hard, but it looks so easy when the instructor is doing it. I also have a bit of extra challenge because I'm a lefty. I'm supposed to see what instructor is doing and then reverse it, which is much less easy than it sounds! We are in week 3, and we've decided that we will sign up for the Jul/Aug beginner's session, and assess after that if it's something we want to continue. It isn't cheap, but if we're continuing to enjoy it, then I think it would be worth it.
My shortest term goal is to make an object that is recognizable, lol.
Mid-range goal is to hand build some mushrooms.
Longer mid-range goal is to make some plant pots.
Long-range "stretch" goal is to make a garden fountain. One of the instructors has a fountain on Instagram that she made and I'm in love with it.
An interesting aside is that some of the premier clay artists in the area teach or have gone to school there. DH's favorite coffee mug from a local shop was made by an artisan at The Clay School.
A consideration that you folks will appreciate is that we will be producing "stuff," and much of our early efforts will be unlovely. Sis pointed out that DH and I will have double the crap since there are two of us! DH dropped and broke the first 3 pots he made, so that took care of those, anyway. We may be flooding our local Saver's store with pottery class rejects.
I will keep you all posted and hope to share some pictures soon.