Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: A fun new thing - Pottery Class!

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Absolutely beautiful, rr! I love the bowls. The white one has such a lovely shine to it.
    Thanks! The name of the white glaze is "Toilet Bowl," lol. It was a bit disconcerting the first time I heard one of the instructors talk about dipping a piece in Toilet Bowl!

I'm impressed beyond measure. Your "toilet bowl" piece is perfect.

We are enrolled in a 4-hour "Wheel Boot Camp" tomorrow, an intensive workshop to develop our wheel skills. I'm really looking forward to it!

These are my latest works in progress. Our current course is a hand building course rather than a wheel building course. It is totally fun and satisfying, and I am sure I'll want to do more of it in the future, but I feel like I still need to rise to the challenge of the wheel, so our next class beginning in Nov will be another wheel class.
    I should also add that I am not enormously creative; these are projects that were designed by our instructor.
    pottery box with lid.jpg
    pottery oak leaf bowl.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    These are my latest works in progress. Our current course is a hand building course rather than a wheel building course. It is totally fun and satisfying, and I am sure I'll want to do more of it in the future, but I feel like I still need to rise to the challenge of the wheel, so our next class beginning in Nov will be another wheel class.
    I should also add that I am not enormously creative; these are projects that were designed by our instructor.
    pottery box with lid.jpg
    pottery oak leaf bowl.jpg
    Those are wonderful! I have a Pinterest board called “ceramics I could make “and most if are slab pieces. But I doubt that I can make them, and when it comes to glazes that is a science beyond me.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-7-22 at 6:35pm.

Very nice, rr. Wonderful to see how much you are enjoying this!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

So nice! The leaf dish makes me wonder if you can use cookie cutters to do similar projects. You could have a dish for each season! Hand building must be challenging, but I guess wheel work is challenging, too.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Catherine, the hand building is a lot less difficult than the wheel. The leaf dishes were indeed done with cookie cutters, but I don't know where I'm going to put these (because DH made one too with Maple leaves), let alone one for every season!

Rosa, here’s something you could make on the wheel: toilet brush holders.

I’m doing a lot of shopping to find some thing that is not plastic or God for bid, gold colored. I’m willing to pay higher money and I’ve only found one thing that’s acceptable.

Now I probably could adapt a ceramic round cylinder form but I don’t want to spend that kind of time shopping for the right shape.

Out there on the Internet there’s a lot of cutesy toothbrush holders but there ain’t no simple, handsome, toilet brush holders. There is one hip one made out of cement that was I think $78? Yikes.

Haha! When we moved in, the former owners left us this toilet brush holder. Totally goes with the artsy, boho vibe they had. I love it! So much nicer than the standard white plastic crap.

So, rosa, maybe you could reference this picture as inspiration?

IMG_4180.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information