Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GERD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Yppej

GERD

Since I am not going for medical or dental appointments due to mask requirements, I am relying on Dr. Google. My chest pains do not appear to be damage from the Moderna vaccine, but more likely GERD. So I will try to address that and:

Use antacids as needed as a bridge whiile I work on lifestyle changes.

Lose weight. (Having some sucess here.)

Modify my diet. (Still trial and error as I work to see what sets it off.)

Reduce caffeine intake. (Some success here.)

Sleep with my head elevated more. (Not consistent.)

Wear loose clothing. (Am seeing which summer clothes fit this description.)

Trying to not do an excessive amount of bending, like weeding, especially after eating. (Hard for a workaholic but I am getting better.)

Has anyone had experience with this condition?

Not GERD but related tummy issues. I get relief from eating smaller portions of food, no alcohol and drinking herbal teas containing peppermint. I have read that antacids can eventually exacerbate the problem if you take them all the time - sort of like a rebound effect.

Yppej
    Good to know on the rebound pinkytoe. I am not a drinker but am a grazer. I've read peppermint can be bad for GERD but that has not been my experience.

I don't have GERD issues, but I read somewhere that sleeping on your left side helps.

I think you're wise to limit drugs similar to Zantac, which was withdrawn from the market--they have a questionable history,

I'd start by cutting back on carbohydrates, and giving yourself several hours between your last meal and bedtime.
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29339035/

I only had it when I was overweight. Once I lost weight it went away.

Yppej
    I have been watching the carbs and eating more fat - maybe too much. Tums is the antacid I take since it is basically calcium and seems pretty innocuous. Tried eating bananas to absorb the acid but it didn't do the trick.

I drink a glass of water with a couple tablespoons of cider vinegar after dinner. Our bed is elevated at the head with blocks. Smaller portions. All seem to help. I do take a tums every night for calcium.

My sil used to eat a small apple each night before bed for this.

Yppej
    I tried apples but they made me feel worse. Today I am drinking licorice tea which seems to help. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

My ex used to drink water with baking soda but he didn’t have any blood pressure issues.

Thread Information