Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: how to solve global warming

  1. #1
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    8,467

    how to solve global warming

    Last night I watched the second half of the Nova show about the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs. At the end they tossed off a statistic that made me realize that the solution to global warming is as simple as having a 7 mile long asteroid hit the earth. Yes, that would create a different set of problems, like tsunamis all over the world and molten glass raining down everywhere setting most of the stuff on the planet's surface on fire, which would for sure be a bummer. But that asteroid also threw enough crap up into the atmosphere that scientists believe it took about 10 years for everything to clear and during that time the average temperature on earth fell a staggering 48 degrees Fahrenheit.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Yppej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,410
    Or since overpopulation is the cause you could just kill yourself. Keep taking boosters every few months until your T cells are exhausted. That should do the trick.

  3. #3
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    8,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Or since overpopulation is the cause you could just kill yourself. Keep taking boosters every few months until your T cells are exhausted. That should do the trick.
    It's kind of sad that you're just phoning it in now. Try harder. Or as Melania would say "be best."

  4. #4
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    13,447
    So, you're saying that we need the 6th extinction, caused by an outside event, as a reset button, rather than people just cleaning up their messes.

    While population plays a role, I'm a believer that over population is not a major cause of global warming. First of all, the population is starting to flatten, especially in the more affluent countries and where countries practice birth control. That's a bit of a red herring when there are other forces at play.

    Then other red herring is the idea that "global warming" is the bogeyman rather than the causes of global warming. The ladder is against the wrong wall. It's like saying let's make sure we have enough water to put out the fire burning down your house instead of saying stop setting fire to your furniture.

    If we get to the true root cause of global warming it has to do with lack of respect for the living systems that support us. The notion that humans can rape and pillage with impunity for all their self-serving ends. The twist in the wording in Genesis that turned man from a steward of the earth to a dominator. The resulting growth of economic, political and cultural systems that support that mindset.


    But, jp, it will probably take an asteroid to address all this..
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  5. #5
    Senior Member Yppej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,410
    For JP it will take an asteroid because he doesn't have any religious beliefs.

    For those of us who do it might be a return to animacy, as discussed in Braiding Sweetgrass and Finding the Mother Tree.

  6. #6
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    13,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    For those of us who do it might be a return to animacy, as discussed in Braiding Sweetgrass and Finding the Mother Tree.
    We can always hope.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    9,493
    jp was just kind of playing around with the asteroid thing. It would take a revolution or something probably.

    While population plays a role, I'm a believer that over population is not a major cause of global warming.
    if the population was half what it was now problems would be easier to manage. I mean it's preferable from a human wellbeing perspective IMO, to have a smaller population that can have a decent standard of living than a huge population living in dire poverty that is demanded by that. Really how is that desirable? But I don't think it's that easily solved, I mean everyone having no or less kids is great, but it takes a long time for population to decline that way, and we've got more immediate problems with climate change that can ever be solved that way.

    And of course with global warming the root is burning greenhouse gasses.

    First of all, the population is starting to flatten, especially in the more affluent countries and where countries practice birth control.
    that's very good though.
    Trees don't grow on money

  8. #8
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    8,467
    For the record I’d rather not have an asteroid come kill most of what’s alive on earth today. And obviously I doubt that one is going to arrive anytime soon since it’s been 60 something million years sine the last one came to shake things up. But frankly I doubt that humanity is going to make the changes necessary to stop human caused climate change before billions of people are drastically negatively impacted. The likelihood of that happening is probably about the same as the likelihood of a 7 mile asteroid smacking the planet a second time. In the meantime we’ll have people driving their dinosaur fueled cars an hour each way daily while avoiding slightly longer once in a lifetime vacation trips thinking they are not part of the problem. And as time goes by those of us with the resources will spend a lot of money on things like ever taller sea walls to prevent the inevitable while those with less resources drown/sweat to death.

    At least a seven mile long asteroid would split the suffering equally amongst all of humanity more or less.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Yppej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,410
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    For the record I’d rather not have an asteroid come kill most of what’s alive on earth today. And obviously I doubt that one is going to arrive anytime soon since it’s been 60 something million years sine the last one came to shake things up. But frankly I doubt that humanity is going to make the changes necessary to stop human caused climate change before billions of people are drastically negatively impacted. The likelihood of that happening is probably about the same as the likelihood of a 7 mile asteroid smacking the planet a second time. In the meantime we’ll have people driving their dinosaur fueled cars an hour each way daily while avoiding slightly longer once in a lifetime vacation trips thinking they are not part of the problem. And as time goes by those of us with the resources will spend a lot of money on things like ever taller sea walls to prevent the inevitable while those with less resources drown/sweat to death.

    At least a seven mile long asteroid would split the suffering equally amongst all of humanity more or less.
    Maybe you should stop flying places for teambuilding exercises etc and instead work on teambuilding with climate change activists where you live. All politics is local. Keyboard warriors are pretty useless.

    I have been attending meetings in my city with some success in advancing my agenda. What have you done for yours other than posture and pontificate?

  10. #10
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    8,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Maybe you should stop flying places for teambuilding exercises etc and instead work on teambuilding with climate change activists where you live. All politics is local. Keyboard warriors are pretty useless.

    I have been attending meetings in my city with some success in advancing my agenda. What have you done for yours other than posture and pontificate?
    Again you fail in the attention to detail game. Since you forgot, I didn’t end up flying anywhere for team building exercises because SO had a trivial illness that has killed a million Americans in the last 2 years. You should probably schedule a doctor’s appointment to discuss memory concerns.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •