Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas prices

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    It’s at an old timey small-cabins-on-the-beach resort here that’s been around ~100 years. The pump still works, the price is “free”, but it is only used to fuel the resort’s service vehicles :-). Wish I could buy gas there at the marked 33 cents per gallon.
    There is an old time gas station by my house, they tried to sell it as a house a while back. It fell through for several reasons:
    1. Price for what it needed.
    The legal stuff it needs
    2. gas tanks need to be removed from the ground and the ground abated. They have been in since it closed, pre 1940.
    3. The garage for the house, was built half on the house property and half on railroad property behind it.

How much are you folks spending per month on gas?

This article suggests the average American is shelling out a small fortune:

https://www.coxautoinc.com/market-in...vehicles-hard/

Even when I was driving just petro-powered vehicles, it's rare I'd drive more than 3000-4000 miles a year unless I went on a road trip. No matter how fuel efficient a vehicle I have here, I get < 20 miles/gallon because of the terrain.

When not traveling, we are spending $55 a month for one fill up. Glad we have one little CR-V right now. I can't imagine what all these big trucks must be spending on gas.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    When not traveling, we are spending $55 a month for one fill up. Glad we have one little CR-V right now. I can't imagine what all these big trucks must be spending on gas.
    My Hummer H1 has ~45 gallons of fuel capacity, it'd cost me ~$300 to fill up. And my big boat takes ~300 gallons of diesel, so, well, I've been using the little boat a lot instead, which is fine, it's summer and the weather is calmer. I even rowed to the mainland last week, which was free except for the cost of cheeseburgers to feed the engine :-)

I spent $80 last week but only buy gas every 5-6 weeks. I only drive 50-60 miles/week except for the occasional road trip like I took in April down to Southern California.

For us it’s our utilities that are Going through the roof. Even when we don’t use heat or a/c 300 kWh of electricity plus enough gas for hot water only runs us about $150/month. I’ve used the a/c 6 days during the current billing period. Every day we use it adds about $3-4 to the bill since we pay $.31/kwh.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    For us it’s our utilities that are Going through the roof. Even when we don’t use heat or a/c 300 kWh of electricity plus enough gas for hot water only runs us about $150/month. I’ve used the a/c 6 days during the current billing period. Every day we use it adds about $3-4 to the bill since we pay $.31/kwh.
    Our electric rates are quite low here now still: $0.113/kWh, but there's also a "facilities charge" that you get hit with even if you use no power.

My last billing period I used 59kWh/day, the same year previous I used 59 kHW/day for that same month. My average cost/day that period was $4.57/day, last year's period was $3.06/day. This is including the offset they pay me for my significant number of shares of our community solar project, alas this year was much colder and more overcast than last year.

So, net impact is a ~50% increase.

My diesel pickup with a 26 gallon tank holds about $160 of fuel at today's price. I last filled up on the 31st of May and still have just over 1/2 tank left.

Next week we're towing our camper a couple hundred miles away up in Amish country for a week, that should cost about $230 in fuel for the round trip, just about twice the expense of this time last year.

For the past several years we've been travelling south and west for anywhere from 6 to 8 weeks and spending just over $1000 on average per trip for fuel. If we did that this summer it would be more like $2500 in fuel. Haven't decided whether we'll do that or not this year.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yppej
    I am watching home heating oil prices which are close to diesel prices. It has not dropped like gasoline prices have.

At the old place, I put about 12K miles a year on average. After the move, I bought a car because of the miles/rust on the truck and for better fuel economy. I figure last year, I put around 6K on the vehicles, total and about 1500 of that was on the truck.
    This month was expensive as I used the truck for moving, so $90 on it (just shy of the highest for the month), and around $118 for the car. The truck was only used two days.

The cheapest station by us is now down to $5.19 according to SO who stopped there on the way to work today. I filled up there Friday when they were still $5.35. The highest they got, maybe six weeks ago, was $5.89.

Thread Information