Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas prices

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    What an adorable car! It almost makes me nostalgic for my little blue VW. Almost.
    It is nearly my favorite car, and I have a whole fleet to pick from. It's reasonably zippy here, handles like a go-cart, the dog fits in the back or all the groceries or mulch in the world, has zero maintenance cost as far as I can tell, doesn't need fuel, and is cute. And in our horrid heat wave last year I parked it in the shade under a tree in my driveway and used it as an air-conditioned office.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    What an adorable car! It almost makes me nostalgic for my little blue VW. Almost.
    What car? Imma lookin at the handsome hound!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    What car? Imma lookin at the handsome hound!
    He's quite a genius.

Is his name Beauregard?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Is his name Beauregard?
    It is "Elvis", the only word he knew when I got him from the rescue agency years ago, as a totally wild ~2 year old. He's saved over 40 lives so far as my partner-in-crime.

My nephew had a shar-pei mix called Nixon. Elvis is very distinguished looking--like an aging politician.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    has zero maintenance cost as far as I can tell, doesn't need fuel, and is cute. And in
    How do the brakes operate? What does it use in place of rubber parts (tires, wipers, etc) and fluids (brake, wiper, etc).
    Low, but still greater then zero.
    I did a pricing on the conversion of my 71 beetle to electric and the payback isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    How do the brakes operate? What does it use in place of rubber parts (tires, wipers, etc) and fluids (brake, wiper, etc).
    Low, but still greater then zero.
    I did a pricing on the conversion of my 71 beetle to electric and the payback isn't there.
    The brakes seem to not be wearing much due to the regenerative braking, and there is a 1200 foot descent from my house to the main road here every day.

Tires/wipers of course have to be replaced now-and-then, don't be silly, but I drive < 4000 miles a year except for vacations. The service manual calls out a yearly task of lubricating the rails on the sunroof and replacing the cabin air filter. It's basically zero, compared to my coffee budget.

I have done nothing to this car over 3 years other than replace wiper fluid and lubricating the sunroof. I will replace the rear tires sometime in the next several years, they seem to cost $75/tire. My Porsche tires are $350/tire. My Hummer H1 tires are $500/tire.

"don't be silly", I used to work in a garage, and have seen how people forget about/abuse their vehicles. Late bosses truck, needed new tires, at 30K and 10 years old, due to dry rot. Other boss and his brother, would be lucky to change his oil, let alone clean out the vehicle at 12K. I don't see it as silly, to remind people how expensive it is to ignore them.

The change in work location, plus the change to earlier summer hours and also considering gas prices, I have walked home from work the last two days. (2.5 miles and 40-45 minutes) One of my children leaves for work as early as I do and drives past my building, so I have been dropped off in the mornings and then just walked home. I won't do it every day, but am happy that I am physically able to after putting in a 10 hour day.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information