Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas prices

Yppej
    My electric will not support anything additional like minisplits, and electric is through the roof in my area. Yet that is what all the rebates are for nowadays, pushing a green agenda, even though the electricity is produced with fossil fuels.

To understand how people of any age could die of hypothermia I would recommend JP read the novel "The Beans of Egypt, Maine". Its characters are unforgettable.

My house is 1500 square feet - basement where the pipes are and I don't want them to freeze, first floor, second floor (Cape). All one zone currently but I know a minisplit couldn't handle them all.

As I don't travel far anymore wood would be ideal, but that would require a new chimney. It's expensive to switch from one type of heating to another. Supplemental is more doable depending on your house.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Please stop. It's a real problem. We are loathe to run ours, paid a thousand dollars a month to fill it, and we both have COPD. Not a joke.
    I assume this was directed at me. For those that haven't been following yppej and my ongoing disagreement about covid precautions this was snark. I'm not the one who doesn't care that old and frail people are dying. And apparently she actually DOES care if old and frail people die if it's of a cause that fits her current preferred narrative. It's only if they die of a disease that she'd rather pretend isn't a thing that they don't matter.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I assume this was directed at me. For those that haven't been following yppej and my ongoing disagreement about covid precautions this was snark. I'm not the one who doesn't care that old and frail people are dying. And apparently she actually DOES care if old and frail people die if it's of a cause that fits her current preferred narrative. It's only if they die of a disease that she'd rather pretend isn't a thing that they don't matter.
    The average age of death from covid is higher in my state than average life expectancy. Would I rather live longer and die of covid, or live shorter and die of something else?

If I didn't die of covid it would be pneumonia or some other opportunistic infection. We all have to die of something.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    We all have to die of something.
    Exactly. And freezing to death in one’s home is just another of the infinite ways that people can die so I don’t understand why you would present it as a bad thing.

Two different pumps today on the island:

My electric will not support anything additional like minisplits, and electric is through the roof in my area. Yet that is what all the rebates are for nowadays, pushing a green agenda, even though the electricity is produced with fossil fuels.

To understand how people of any age could die of hypothermia I would recommend JP read the novel "The Beans of Egypt, Maine". Its characters are unforgettable.

My house is 1500 square feet - basement where the pipes are and I don't want them to freeze, first floor, second floor (Cape). All one zone currently but I know a minisplit couldn't handle them all.

As I don't travel far anymore wood would be ideal, but that would require a new chimney. It's expensive to switch from one type of heating to another. Supplemental is more doable depending on your house.
    Actually, when we replaced our furnace in 2018, we could get a substantial rebate by replacing it with a new oil burning furnace, but not if we switched over to another type, so it really didn't seem to be pushing a green agenda at all, other than encouraging the installation of a newer, more fuel-efficient system.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Actually, when we replaced our furnace in 2018, we could get a substantial rebate by replacing it with a new oil burning furnace, but not if we switched over to another type, so it really didn't seem to be pushing a green agenda at all, other than encouraging the installation of a newer, more fuel-efficient system.
    That changed this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Two different pumps today on the island:

Where is the second one? Love to see what a historic garage/gas station looks like out there, since that is where I see most of those.

It’s at an old timey small-cabins-on-the-beach resort here that’s been around ~100 years. The pump still works, the price is “free”, but it is only used to fuel the resort’s service vehicles :-). Wish I could buy gas there at the marked 33 cents per gallon.

That changed this year.
    It looks like they are still giving rebates for replacement with gas or oil appliances. The rebates are much smaller than for heat pumps, but they do have them in addition to 0% loans.

https://www.masssave.com/en/saving/residential-rebates

Thread Information