Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas prices

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think the biggest influence on gas prices has nothing to do with peak oil, but rather governmental policies designed to restrict or enhance production coupled with per gallon taxes levied by both federal and state governments.

I think we should expect all energy prices to soar through 2024 and into the first quarter of 2025 when a more citizen friendly administration takes over.
    I can't recall the specific references, but there are experts who believe big oil is happy and enjoying basking in their profits. The volatility of oil prices, with the ups and downs of covid demand influences and supply issues due to war have made new developments too much of a risk of new long term capital investments. I'm not sure how a change of regimes will change that aspect of things.

when a more citizen friendly administration takes over.
    If this refers to the Republicans, then I would like to say that they tend to be the party of "profits over people". I would not call them "citizen friendly"

I would consider "citizen friendly" a euphemism.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I would consider "citizen friendly" a euphemism.
    Meaning what to you?

In context I take it to mean cheap gas for everyone, possibly controlled by the government. Out of context and what it means to me is up to one's imagination.

It looks like prices will continue to increase while availability decreases going forward, at least in the near term. Will There Be Enough Diesel, Jet Fuel, and Gasoline This Summer? - IER (instituteforenergyresearch.org)
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Wikipedia describes the IER as a front for the fossil fuel industry, founded by Charles Koch, funded in part by big oil, and has published papers that oppose efforts to control greenhouse gasses. They could be right, but considering the source I'd want further research to fact check and my suspicions of an agenda are aroused.

That said, our local news is predicting a possible dollar a gallon more increase over the summer, and polls say quite a few people are changing summer travel plans due to gas prices. We're still slightly below $4.00 here.

"The real reason why big oil won't save us from high energy prices."

https://time.com/collection-post/615...-gas-industry/

Wikipedia describes the IER as a front for the fossil fuel industry, founded by Charles Koch, funded in part by big oil, and has published papers that oppose efforts to control greenhouse gasses. They could be right, but considering the source I'd want further research to fact check and my suspicions of an agenda are aroused.
    As long as we're talking now about reliability of sources: Wikipedia:Wikipedia is not a reliable source - Wikipedia
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

As long as we're talking now about reliability of sources: Wikipedia:Wikipedia is not a reliable source - Wikipedia
    So you're saying they were wrong about IER?

Not my day to fact check, it just aroused my suspicions..

So you're saying they were wrong about IER?
    No, just suggesting if you want to disprove something, Wikipedia shouldn't be your 'go to' source.

Thread Information