Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Gas prices

11 cents/kilowatt-hour here still :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    11 cents/kilowatt-hour here still :-)
    How does that translate to mpg? How does that compare to price of gas? My hybrid gets 50mpg, and I fill my car up once a month ($30) or sometimes twice. What are your costs per mile?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    How does that translate to mpg? How does that compare to price of gas? My hybrid gets 50mpg, and I fill my car up once a month ($30) or sometimes twice. What are your costs per mile?
    My car is rated at 112MPGe for mixed driving. In practice, around here, I'm getting about 100 miles of range out of ~24kWh used, so that'd work out to ~138MPGe. To charge my battery, if I do it at home, costs $2.64. So, just "fuel" cost-per-mile is about $0.026/mile. Now, much of the time I do the bulk of my charging at a free recharging station, so the average is even lower.

The vehicle itself was purchased used, was quite inexpensive, and requires basically no maintenance, as there aren't many wear or service items. Avoiding a day-long expedition to the mainland for regular service saves a huge amount of time and money.

Just looking at gas vs electric fuel prices, because of the terrain here, it is hard to beat 18mpg even in a fuel-efficient vehicle like my Mini Cooper. Gas prices here are ~$5/gallon, so you're looking at ~28 cents/mile just for gas. About 10x the cost of the electric approach. Plus you also need to factor in service and maintenance costs.

One of my upcoming projects is to rehaul an old Carter WCFB Carburetor, for my 58 Packard engine. Yup. I sat n watched a youtube video about a guy who rehauled a very similar engine, and had the luxury of breaking it in on an engine dyno, which measures the power output of the engine. He also had access to an air/fuel ratio test meter, and found the original metering orfices in the carburetor were too small for optimum power. Since they are removable, he changed them out to allow more fuel flow. Yup. The engine then had a significant increase in power output. So, yeah--I took note of the changes he made, and will replicate them in my Carby rehaul project. Yup. BTW, the city-owned electric utility here is entirely coal-fired. That's the major commodity that the RR line here transports. So, that's what your EV runs on, if you live around here. Unless, you have your very own hydroelectric dam in your backyard. But, the DNR would likely get after you, if you dammed a creek to do that. Or else , you'd need an acre of solar panels. Ha. It's always something, check! Yup. Self-driving EV's for consumer use are a pipe dream. Way over acclaimed. So are windmills. My theoretical equation is: Musk=Tucker. Ha. I certainly see some peripheral applications for such technology; but not in the fambly SUV to get out and DRIVE, just for something to do. Hope that helps you some. 2022-07-22 (8).jpg2022-07-22 (8).jpg

Still over $4 a gallon here.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yipes, I had to put a few gallons in my pickup truck today, $5.89/gallon.

Thread Information