Page 242 of 242 FirstFirst ... 142192232240241242
Results 2,411 to 2,417 of 2417

Thread: Why NOT to vote Republican

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Son-in-law has an obsession with a certain breed - Cane Corso - and they are now on their third one. First was a gentle giant and died from cancer, second was a terror that attacked DD unprovoked several times and having small children, they were advised by their vet to have it put down which they begrudgingly did. They learned later that had it been bred and raised by a woman later arrested for animal cruelty. The third - we shall see. I wish they would just get a sweet-natured mutt.
    Cane Corsos are trendy and have been for the past few years. I put them in the same trend category as Dobermans were 30+ years ago,, then Rottweilers followed, then pitbulls. But I remember your daughter had a big dog before the cane Corso so maybe they’re just attracted to very large dogs.
    I am not a serious person.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Cane Corsos are trendy and have been for the past few years.
    I enjoy large dogs, and had always hoped to have a Cane Corso, but once a dog becomes "trendy", problems appear. Wow - I just looked, they are #18 on the list of breed popularity in the USA!

I had a great pair of Portuguese Water Dogs some years ago. It took me quite a while to source the pair, the breed was pretty obscure and in short supply in the USA. Then Obama got elected, and was given one as First Dog. The breed suffered as a result as less-skillful breeders started cranking up the production line.

I have things to say about the current "doodle" trend too, but...

I'm planning ahead for the next dog(s), and am leaning towards the Otterhound or the Grand Griffon Vendéen, both of which are tricky to source.

We have had several neighbors acquire doodle dogs and all have come down with cancer and passed at young ages. Funny how political talk turned to dog talk

We have had several neighbors acquire doodle dogs and all have come down with cancer and passed at young ages. Funny how political talk turned to dog talk
    My sister and her husband spent $6k on a "doodle" puppy a few years ago. They both work during the day. It is a very high-drive dog, and they treat it as if it were their child. It has never received any significant training, and is a total handful.

Hilariously, they live here within walking distance of a very very good full-size poodle breeder, who breeds working poodles. They could have had one of his puppies for less money, and with more guarantee of long-term success. But he likely wouldn't have sold them a puppy, he carefully places each one.

Anyways, see above, most people shouldn't have dogs.

Funny how political talk turned to dog talk
    Well, politics is going to the dogs, so it seems oddly appropriate :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I enjoy large dogs, and had always hoped to have a Cane Corso, but once a dog becomes "trendy", problems appear. Wow - I just looked, they are #18 on the list of breed popularity in the USA!

I had a great pair of Portuguese Water Dogs some years ago. It took me quite a while to source the pair, the breed was pretty obscure and in short supply in the USA. Then Obama got elected, and was given one as First Dog. The breed suffered as a result as less-skillful breeders started cranking up the production line.

I have things to say about the current "doodle" trend too, but...

I'm planning ahead for the next dog(s), and am leaning towards the Otterhound or the Grand Griffon Vendéen, both of which are tricky to source.
    oh yeah, try Frenchies, number one on the AKC list. I have had eight French bulldogs in the past 15 years. I’m sure you all remember when I got a clump of them all at once on the same day. I got them for free because they were in need of a home. God, are they dumb and that was back in the day when ours were from Champion stock from respected hobby breeders, and a couple of them were out and out champions. I can’t imagine how dumb the over produced French Bulldogs are these days a decade later.

doodles aren’t even worth talking about. As my friend in dogs points out, people who have quality poodles are not going to breed them to goldens, it’s just not going to happen. So you’re going to get…stuff… in poodle x golden breeding.

I’m famous in our old neighborhood for causing a ruckus at a dinner party when I told our friends I would shun them if they bred their stupid idiotic doodles. Only I left out the phrase “stupid, idiotic.”
    I am not a serious person.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Besides being politically tome deaf it also strikes me that it’s an admission that one has no clue how to train a dog.
    One wag said that Gov Noem’s dog is still biting her from beyond the grave.

Thread Information