Page 172 of 242 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174182222 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,720 of 2420

Thread: Why NOT to vote Republican

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    If it's a valuing children mindset, I hope it spreads.
    At age 17? You want a run on 17 year old parents? Now that is sick.

I'm very grateful to have been born to adult parents.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    In the old days, it wasn't uncommon to have children at 18. Actually, my niece had a baby at 18. Her parents, with whom she has a very close relationship (she was living with them at the time) didn't even know! My SIL suspected. My brother got a call at work summoning him to the hospital where he learned that he had become a grandfather! There is nothing "wrong" with my niece and she raised her son and her other children spectacularly.

I don't think there is anything categorically wrong with having children young; it does require a lot of support, though. I think it's interesting that the pendulum has swung and the trend is to have kids in your 30s and beyond so you can "live life" first and "save for a house" first and all that. Nothing wrong with that either, of course, but different strokes for different folks. My brand of "living life" was to have children in my 20s, and although I didn't wait to have kids until after I had enough money for a house, I wound up with a house anyway, and a bunch of wonderful kids to fill it.

Social rules can be so punishing.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

No, I'm not in favor of 17 year old parents, but it happens despite mine or your wishes. Having gone through that myself when my 18 year old daughter gave birth I understand that the worst thing a parent can do is stigmatize the event and I refuse to do so for anyone in that position. That's a sickness we can avoid.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Alan.. You helped your kid and, most likely, the gov subsidized them too. At 17, it is unimaginable that they could be self sufficient. The sickness is those who promote having children at 17 or younger.

Alan.. You helped your kid and, most likely, the gov subsidized them too. At 17, it is unimaginable that they could be self sufficient. The sickness is those who promote having children at 17 or younger.
    I wouldn’t call it “promoting” so much as making the best of things that are real.

What is the age of marriage in various states in the USA? And what is that age with parental consent?

Who is promoting it?

I was out on my own and self sufficient at 17, my wife was in the same position at 18. My daughter was married at 18 and her husband was 19. They bought their first house when she was 20 and both have done very well. My mom was one month past her 18th birthday when I was born, my dad had just turned 21, it's not unimaginable.

When my paternal grandparents married, he was 17 and she was 14, they eventually thrived although he liked to remind her that during that first year or so of marriage, he nearly starved to death because when he came in from the fields at noon each day, she was was more often than not too busy playing with the neighbor kids to prepare lunch. So there's that.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Who is promoting it?

I was out on my own and self sufficient at 17, my wife was in the same position at 18. My daughter was married at 18 and her husband was 19. They bought their first house when she was 20 and both have done very well. My mom was one month past her 18th birthday when I was born, my dad had just turned 21, it's not unimaginable.

When my paternal grandparents married, he was 17 and she was 14, they eventually thrived although he liked to remind her that during that first year or so of marriage, he nearly starved to death because when he came in from the fields at noon each day, she was was more often than not too busy playing with the neighbor kids to prepare lunch. So there's that.
    How many years ago are you talking about, Alan? I seriously doubt a 17 year old could do what you describe today!

A kid in my daughter's high school class graduated pregnant. She was one of the top students. She got married before graduation, delivered after graduation, and she and her husband now have several kids, and a highly productive farm.

They had some family help in procuring the land for the farm, but built the house there and the outbuildings and barns with their own hands, and with $$$ they raised themselves. By the time my daughter had finished her Master's degree, these other kids were running a profitable and growing farm, and now have multiple children.

My own parents were ~19 when I was born.

Thread Information