Page 13 of 242 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Why NOT to vote Republican

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I feel very sorry for the residents of Austin - they deserve to be part of a much better state than what Texas is showing itself to be. I can't unsee the latest from Texas, either. Not only the belief that the 2020 election was stolen but the GOP's stance in Texas that homosexuality is an "Abnormal Lifestyle Choice" - boy howdy I'd love an audience with these utter bufoons. They of course would not listen to a word I'd say so perhaps it's for the best that this won't happen. What an utter embarrassment even for a rapidly sliding country such as this.

I'm glad I saw Austin when I did. I could not enter Texas now.

Rob
    A friend's son, a young gay man, moved to Austin this year. I'm baffled, but I hope the influx of sane people like him will eventually supplant the barbarians who apparently run most of the state.

I think your cousin has a nerve to think that how you vote is any of her business, or that she is entitled to any input in the matter, but I guess if you're OK with it, that's all that matters.
    I also think we should give TX back to Mexico, if they are willing to take it.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    A friend's son, a young gay man, moved to Austin this year. I'm baffled, but I hope the influx of sane people like him will eventually supplant the barbarians who apparently run most of the state.
    I wish this young man happiness and safety - though I will say that when I was in Austin pushing 10 years ago. I did run across many young guys wearing pride button's and such in public. Austin, at least then, was a sane reprieve from the remainder of Texas. Hopefully it remains this way. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I think your cousin has a nerve to think that how you vote is any of her business, or that she is entitled to any input in the matter, but I guess if you're OK with it, that's all that matters.
    LOL as long as we can keep Austin I'm all for it. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Forgot to add - Rugarosa, I can see where you are coming from and I can see why this would creep some out. In Austria, such is not considered intrusive - seriously - because how one votes is considered to have impact on the well being of society.

I am American enough to find this annoying, but Austrian enough to understand and even agree - to a point. Astrid means well and as I've stated before those at Schiffmuhlenstasse in Vienna do worry about me being in the US. They very much mean well.

Rob

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Mayra Flores anyone?

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/20/11062...-for-secession

Perhaps there is no need to give Texas - minus Austin of course - back to Mexico. Per the above, apparently the GOP platform in Texas calls for a vote on secession! I won't be running to Texas to be part of a new Texas Nation, that's for sure.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Per the above, apparently the GOP platform in Texas calls for a vote on secession!
    Well, the International Covenant on Human Rights, Article 1, item 1 states:

All peoples have the right of self-determination. By virtue of that right they freely determine their political status and freely pursue their economic, social and cultural development.
    So, godspeed and farewell to Texas.

Austin is a tiny island in a sea of Republicans.

I'm not sure Texas is as Republican as it appears, though it did go for Trump, it's heavily gerrymandered. It's not the most blue state out there either, but it's engineered to be redder than it is.

"As Republicans push extreme bills in the legislature, they’re also bolstered by an extremely powerful political advantage. A decade ago, Republicans had complete control over the process of drawing the boundaries for state legislative and congressional districts. It allowed them to distort the lines to help Republicans win elections and guarantee their election in the state legislature over the past 10 years. This year the lines will be redrawn again and Republicans once again will have complete control of the process.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...rd-right-texas

Texas may have the worst gerrymander in the country:
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/videos/t...n-the-country/

So people moving there isn't easily going to change things (even all the liberals in California ha - but why would they want to? Might be okay for retirement but for young people or to raise kids? yikes) because there are a lot of gerrymandering backstops to prevent majority representation via voting.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information